Very Simple Background Image Question

You see the background in the “About Us” section of this site:

http://www.grigorlawyers.com.au/

I was wondering what filter is used to do that (or if a filter is). That’s a popular type of background (I see it a lot) and it provides a nice, subtle visual effect instead of a boring solid background color.

I use GIMP now (as much as I hate it). Does anyone know of a quick way to do that in GIMP (or Photoshop–I can try to adapt it to GIMP)? I just want to find out how to do it. I tried using some different filters in GIMP but did not come close.

Also, would it be possible to create a gray-scale semi-transparent PNG background with that effect that can be overlayed on top of a solid background color to enable quick color changes? I’ve never tried playing around with using both a background color and an image on top of it. I don’t know if it would work.

Thanks for your help with this simple question. :slight_smile:

filter -> texture -> grain in photoshop to get a simimilar background.

border-top: 1px solid #342928; for the border :slight_smile:

If you don’t have access to a grain filter, you can try adding a little noise. filter -> noise-> add noise

OK, thanks for the tips. I assume nothing special has to be done to get the finished image to tile properly–to look seamless? I have done backgrounds before for my personal sites and they all looked tiled because I couldn’t get GIMP to make the background seamless.