Video capturing software

I have been shopping around for good video capturing software (Mac - Snow Leopord compatible) and I have narrowed it down to a couple choices.

iShowU and [URL=“http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/”]Camtasia

The aim is to make on-screen tutorial videos (no web cam or external video sources will be used).

There is a decent price difference, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience using either program.

If you have a different option you prefer feel free to sell me on it :slight_smile:

Thanks for any help :smiley:

Well, iShowU and Snapz are off the list.

I prefer Screenflow and Camtasia’s interface and it blends in a lot of features that made iMovie a great beginner’s tool for video creation/editing.

Both are the same price so back to the guts of each I go! put on headlamp

I can’t directly help you in your quest, but about a year ago I contemplated buying a screen capturing and video capturing application for the creation of tutorials, short video demonstrations.

My evaluation back then resulted in favour of Snapz X Pro. I never got around to buying it, thus I can’t give you first-hand input on how good it is. However, you might want to include it in your evaluation process unless, of course, you’ve already done so. :slight_smile:

So far I’m pretty impressed with Camtasia. I still love the simple interface with a plethora of audio and video editing options available.

I know they use their SmartFocus, but I wish there was a “Highlight Only Cursor” where, say, the whole screen when opaque except for around the mouse. Perhaps adding IShowU’s feature of detecting mouse clicks with on-screen effects would be nice. I’m still plugging away through their tutorial videos so maybe there is a simpler way.

I’ll have to give Screenflow a go soon :slight_smile:

I can only speak for the PC version, but Camtasia is the King of screencasting software if you ask me. As a bonus I think the MAC version is cheaper than the PC one, but as with most things, I say try 'em out yourself and see what you think before deciding.

I’m interested in this too, and haven’t quite made a choice. The only other one I know if is ScreenFlow, which was used in some of the recent SitePoint courses.

EDIT: hah, now there’s another one on the list, thanks to Maleika. That one looks nice. :slight_smile:

I have been using Hypercam (which is about 30$ if I remember correct) to make promotional videos explaining our software.

So far it has been easy to use and has most the functions that I am looking for.

Camtasia is the best I’ve seen. For now I am using Microsoft Expression Screen Recorder, the light free 10 minute video version.

I’ve been checking out the trial versions of Screenflow and Camtasia. Camtasia is a lot easier to learn, but it’s frustrating that each lacks some things that the other has. If they could just combine… that would be great.