Videos and images in content pages

I am a content writer and somebody recently told me that I can introduce video clippings in the content page.
Is it beneficial to introduce video clippings of the important features, in the content page? I have written many contents
but they are only words and words in bulletin points.How can I make my content page more picturesque? Can I add interesting images
like flow charts, pie charts and bar charts?

You can add all the items you listed. Pictures and charts are good as long as they are related to the article but remember they will slow down the page slightly.

Video is a bit different as it will probably slow your page a lot; that is why mosy people put a video player on the page and the user can chose wether to play the video or not.

These days, I think it’s a great idea to have a video that introduces a service or product. I find more and more that people/businesses struggle to explain their product or service in words—it’s a pandemic problem—and especially in this situation, a video that shows you how the product or service works is a godsend. (That is, it’s not just for people who are too lazy to read. Often the text is not worth reading, because it’s so poorly written and/or presented.)

[FONT=verdana]A video is a good idea if - and only if - it can show the subject better than text or static images could. A video for its own sake is annoying and counter-productive.

Some examples: how to make a loaf of bread; how to change the brake pads on your bike; how to clean the inside of a computer: those are all useful subjects for a video. But if you want to explain, for example, how to code a webpage in HTML, or whether it’s safe to eat out-of-date food, a video is a waste of time and effort. These are things you can explain much better with text. Particularly annoying is a video of a person talking straight to the camera, when what he is saying could just as easily be presented in writing.

The problem with a video is that the visitor might have to set aside time to watch it (so that it won’t disturb those around him); the video might not be compatible with his system (it might not support Flash, for instance); or he might not have enough bandwidth to watch (if he is using a mobile device with a restricted data plan perhaps). With a straight page of text, you can read it at any time, in any order; you can easily jump around, and focus on specific bits of information; you can copy and paste it, print it, search it, and run it through a translator. Those things are harder to do with a video.

So, yes: use a video if it really enhances the page or communicates the message. Not otherwise.

Mike[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]

Sorry, Ralph. I posted my reply before I saw yours.

I would say that if someone can’t explain their own product or service in words, they are unlikely to be able to create an effective video either. They would do much better to hire someone who does have the skills to explain the product or service in words. After all, what hope have you of convincing people to buy the product if you can’t even explain the benefits?

Mike
[/FONT]

There are lots of product sites out there that are really poorly written. Take any CMS: it’s usually really hard to get an idea of what makes it different from other offerings, because people are pretty hopeless at understanding what a newcomer is going to want to know. I tend to find that, if there’s a video option, I go straight to that, because you often just get to see the product in action, which is much more useful. Even if the content creators have no idea how to explain the product, it helps a lot to see it in action. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for all your wonderful suggestions. I think introducing a video is a little difficult but I can always add images to make my contents more interesting. I am able to explain the contents well but I just want to make them more interesting.Thanks once again for all the valuable suggestions.

Austin,

I just wanted to point out one thing about using images. They are a great way to break up a post. When visitors see large amounts of text online, they generally avoid it because it causes anxiety. In general, people online are looking for specific information and they want to digest is quickly. Large blocks of text do not work well for that. When you break up your blog post or website copy with images, it makes larger amounts of text easier to read and people will be more likely to read it.
Here is a pretty good post on hubspot about including images in you content,

Best,

Shawn

You definately should use images, video or any other media, because your articles will be viewed by more people, will become more user friendly. Whenever i see a long article i feel anxious and i`m preparing myself for something boring, unlike articles with pictures :slight_smile:

It is highly recommended to add video and images to your content. Not only does Google like to see this now, it will add to the end users experience which is what we are really all about. by adding images and video it keeps the user engaged in your content and adds value. Google is starting to really focus on the end user. They look at things like bounce rate, how long the users stay on your page. The more engaged the user is with your content the better and lower your bounce rates are too. Just remember to try and make it flow naturally and easy for the end user:)