Viewing Python in IDE

That is consistent with what I have heard.

Yep, again, often what I hear.

And that is why maybe going with something like Python makes sense?

I am struggling with this one.

Yes, I have heard that learning CodeIgnitor or whatever else would be helpful. But then there is that whole, “It’s time to let go of PHP and learn something more serious…” voice!

Thanks, I will check those out when I can!!

Why do you say that?

True.

I heard about that, but didn’t know it was for iApps. (I thought is was for programming refrigerators and home appliances!)

So is Swift the real deal, or just a fad?

Sincerely,

Debbie

Python is more of a scripting language. Again I’m not really familiar with it, but scripting languages in general are made to make code writing easier and faster at the cost of performance. From what I understand, Python performs really well for a scripting language and is also very easy to write and learn.

CodeIgnitor is no longer being developed as of a couple years ago. But, they can help you learn new concepts without a lot of overhead of learning a new syntax on top of it. There are other frameworks like Laravel or Symfony. I have no experience with them specifically.

I highly suggest the Build Your Own MVC Framework tutorial I linked previously.

It’s lightweight and it’s portable. It has a ton of built in features, which makes development easy and fast. It can run on just about any web server in the world. I wouldn’t choose it for a site I’m developing as a single site, but for things like Wordpress or forums or phpMyAdmin, there is really no better option.

I actually think that Jeff Atwood and the Discourse team messed up a little by using RoR instead of PHP. But, they are smarter and more experienced than me… lol

It’s been one of Apple’s primary projects for the last few years and it’s being billed as a replacement for Objective-C. It was actually built from the ground up with Apps in mind.

I will definitely do that!

If you were building your own business and website from scratch, and lets say it was a cross between the New York Times and a small Amazon.com, what would you use as a business owner and development team of one?

(Please answer with a non-Microsoft solution.)

Is Swift supposed to a true OO language?

How will it compare to C, C++, Java, C#, etc?

Sincerely,

Debbie

The Play Framework I mentioned earlier. But, I’m already a Java developer and the learning overhead is minimal for me. The language doesn’t matter as much as how well the developer knows the language and how comfortable they are in it. Especially today where the backend language is becoming less important and just handing off data to jQuery, Angular.js, Ember.js, etc.

There are very few languages today that aren’t Object Oriented. C is the biggest non-Object Oriented Programming language out there, I can’t even think of any other language that isn’t off the top of my head.

I’m not sure how Swift compares to any of those, other than C# and only in the sense that it will run only on an Apple much the same way that C# mostly runs on a Microsoft.

I will probably never learn Swift. I’m not interested in Apple development at all.

Off Topic:

I was really only paying attention to the WWDC because I they were supposed to release the new Mac Mini and I was hoping to buy my first Mac. They didn’t :frowning: so I’m probably going to get a Gigabyte Brix

Jumping in here with my own $0.02…

If I was the developer it’d be Python because that’s what I know best. Django is my hammer.

If I were hiring/outsourcing a developer to build it, it’d be PHP, Ruby, JavaScript (Node.js), or Python depending on these two main factors:
[B]

• What am I most likely to be able to recruit for?[/B]

In some places there’s a supply/demand imbalance for particular technology stacks (including the internet). Having an expert available at a reasonable rate is far more useful than someone willing to learn the tech stack you’ve chosen.

- Is there an existing framework or toolset that will save me a lot of time and work?

If there’s a killer library or app that does most of what I’d be building, it may be a huge money/time saver to go with what integrates with that best.

In most cases it doesn’t matter much what you choose as long as the people doing the building know their tools well and can get the job done. Sometimes that means you have to use C#.

Xangis,

Thanks for the thoughts from Corporate America out West! :slight_smile:

Debbie

I’m not going to say you shouldn’t switch to Python if you think that is in your applications best interest. What I will say though is for someone who knows absolutely nothing about OOP nor has had the motivation to learn much about it up until now you have no room to comment on how one language compares to another in that regards.

That aside lets just say that Python is far improved for OOP architecture over PHP. Have you considered hosting costs and server architecture for a python application. I haven’t used Python in a long time but I do know back when I did is few and far between that supported python not to mention provided full access to add libraries to the server and what not. With PHP much of the server configuration is taken care of for you out of the box. Setting up Python though like Ruby is a big pain in the **** unless you’re running a vm on a linux distro. If you do begin exploring the Python world you will most certainly need to work in a vm with a true linux distro. Otherwise it is going to be hell on earth setting that all up locally. Than again maybe there have been some advancements in that regards from 5+ years ago when I last used Python. Perhaps one of the Python experts can comment in that regards.

On topic though if you’re serious PyCharm is what I would recommend. The software from JetBrains is just pure gold.

You’re confusing topics.

First, I have never said I didn’t want to master OOP. (I just said learning OOP in the middle of building this version of my website was stupid…)

Secondly, who says I don’t know anything about OOP?

Finally, just because I don’t have experience coding OOP doesn’t mean I don’t know most of the pros and cons of the different languages and approaches. (It is possible to understand something and make informed opinions on things without necessarily being a hands-on guru. If you doubt this, then read up on a lot of famous NFL/NBA/MBL coaches…)

And thus if I want to learn OOP, probably a smarter direction to go… :wink:

Almost any direction I go from PHP will be painful in this area, since I am not a System Admin.

C++ would hurt. Java would hurt. C# would even hurt to some degree.

This is definitely a consideration in the TCO equation!

FWIW, my current website in on a Linux VPS…

What about NetBeans?

Have you ever used NetBeans for any language?

For Python?

Sincerely,

Debbie

I honestly can’t stand Netbeans. The times I have given it a try it has been slow and buggy. Netbeans and anything Eclipse based just seem to become increasingly slower and slower as more code is added. Eclipse and Netbeans both take forever to rebuild code tree and the scalability of those products is obvious when you have multiple projects with large code bases. I put up with it using Aptana for the last few years. However, I recently switched to PHP Storm which deals with large code repositories and rebuilding code indexes much faster. At least that has been my experience over the last few months of using it. So I assume PyCharm is no different considering it is the Python IDE offering for the same company that created PHPStorm.

Do you work locally? Is so what type of machine do you have. Actually setting up Python on a local environment was a project in itself last time I did it on an older mac. Though like I said before the Python landscape might have been vastly improved since I last used it.

I love NetBeans, although I’m not as sophisticated of a programmer as you.

For me, it was easy to install, easy to understand, and for my simple procedural needs, it works great.

I also like that it is open-source.

If I go to Python, then I’ll definitely check out PyCharm.

Sincerely,

Debbie

HAH!! v1.0 of my website is so old and untouched, it would take me an hour or more to figure out how to get into my GoDaddy account and I don’t even want to think about remembering how to FTP stuff! :lol:

All I have been doing the last few years while I terrorize SitePoint is working locally on my MacBook using NetBeans.

v2.0 of my website has never seen the light of day beyond what I see while developing it on my laptop.

I have a MacBook running Mountain Lion v10.8.5 with NetBeans v7.3.1 and MAMP v2.??? (Why don’t the dummies at MAMP tell what version you have installed?! I never know how to check it!!)

Is there something like MAMP for Macs and Python?

And why exactly was it so hard to install Python when you did long ago?

Sincerely,

Debbie

I believe that Python is installed by default on Mountain Lion. Head on over to your terminal and type “python --version” and it should show which version you currently have. If it is, you don’t need anything else to begin writing Python. (For the time being, ignore anyone that suggests you use virtualenv to develop with Python, it just isn’t necessary for learning the language.)

Also, if you really want to learn Python, I highly recommend Zed Shaw’s “Learn Python the Hard Way” book. It will take you from no knowledge to a thorough understanding pretty quickly. http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

It says… Python 2.7.2

Neat trick! Thanks! :tup:

Can you help me understand the environment more…

Right now on my MBP (Mountain Lion) I have MAMP, so that takes care of my Webserver (Apache), Database (MySQL) and Programming Language (PHP) needs all in one stop.

I am using NetBeans as my IDE.

So when I want to develop code or run my Dev site locally, I just fire up MAMP and NetBeans and I am ready to go.

If I wanted to get into Python, what would I need to do to replicate what I have now? (BTW, I can’t image writing code in anything other than an IDE, and preferably NetBeans since I am comfortable with it…)

Funny you mention that, because I stumbled across his website last month, and it indeed looks interesting! :slight_smile:

Sincerely,

Debbie

Another Python learning source:
http://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/python/

After you have learnt Python in Y minutes you will have time to get version two of your site online:)

Actually, I finished v2.0 of my website this morning. (Well, sorta?!) :wink:

Debbie

May we have the link and will you be submitting your site for a Content Review?

As far as the IDE goes, I can’t really help you there because I do not use one. But, I would assume that you could use NetBeans to write Python and to have code formatting and such. Wish I could comment further, but I just do not know anything about using an IDE! :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as a Python environment goes, you already have everything you need on your MacBook. When you ran “python --version” in the terminal, you were actually invoking a python command. Basically you would open up your IDE, type in some Python code, and then save the file as “whatever.py .” Next you would fire up your terminal, navigate to wherever you saved your python file and run the following command “python whatever.py” and your little program will be executed. For example, you could type up the following in NetBeans:

print "Hello World!"
print "My name is DoubleDee."
print "I am writing Python!"

Save the file as hello.py (make note of where it is saved). Go to terminal, navigate to wherever the file is saved, and run python hello.py and badaboom, you’ve written your first Python program.

As I’m sure you can tell, developing with Python is a completely different ballgame than PHP. There really isn’t any setup necessary to begin learning and using the language. There are some that may tell you that you need to be using Homebrew, and virtualenv, and virtualenvwrapper, and pip, and a whole slew of other tools to develop with python. Ignore that for now. Just focus on learning the language. Then, if you find that it is something that you would like to dive a little deeper into, you can begin to utilize some of the other tools.

Also, if you are not really familiar with the command line I would suggest learning a few of the basic commands to make life easier while learning Python. (http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/book/) Hope that makes sense. :tup:

First off, it’s not online yet, just (basically) done with development. (Of course, if I decide to add in that extra module I’ve been eyeing, if could be another month or two or…)

Secondly, you guys scare me!! (We’ll have to see…) :cool:

Debbie

I haven’t read through the responses yet, so I apologize if I am repeating anything already mentioned.

First things first Debbie…

Regardless of whatever language you are using, you pretty much never want to nest more than two or three if / else statements; much less nesting them to the point where it is hard to keep track of what is going on. First reason is exactly that – it’s hard to read. Secondly, and more importantly, it often means that you can make some big improvements to your code…that’s a somewhat long explanation, but I can elaborate if you are interested.

As for an IDE that can help you out…don’t use an IDE when first learning the language.

I highly suggest Sublime Text editor instead. Color coloring, folding, etc makes it very easy to see your work flow.