Virtual Development Network is almost complete :)

Three VMs (2 Ubuntu Server Trusty Tahr; 1 Windows7 Ultimate) for my virtual dev network. Just some things to install and configure, and I’ll be dreaming up some things, at home. :smile:

V/r,

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hopefully not dreaming in CF. :smile:

Give Node.js a shot. It’s a lot of fun.

Ah, you didn’t notice the VM on the right… with the browser open to the CFAdmin page. :slight_smile: Of course I’ll be dreaming in CF. That’s my proficiency. HOWEVER, I did install the PHP module in the left VM, so can take advantage of both PHP and CF in the same project, were I so inclined. OR, strictly PHP (although I have only tutorial knowledge of PHP.)

V/r,

I saw that afterwards, actually. lol

They kinda do the same thing and work the same ways. But Node can do some restful stuff and works really well with websockets, that you can’t do very well with either PHP or CF.

Don’t know about websockets in PHP, but CF has websockets, too.

V/r,

Well, I knew both do. But neither really are designed to handle connections like that. Socket.io makes them super easy.

I’m not trying to talk you into it, just throwing it out there since node is very good knowledge to have. It seems like more and more moves to it every day.

While I was in Austin last month, I went in for a chat with the General Assembly people there; apparently they are in the process of moving their web development immersive course from RoR to Node - it sounds like there’s a lot of demand out there.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.