Virtual Environments in Python Made Easy

This was a great write up and very handy. I’d gotten a brief introduction to virtual envs and have used them in a handful or projects, but these additional tools (ie, virtualenvwrapper et al) are very handy, and already setup my work flow to reflect these suggested counterparts.

@jetbird Question: In regards to “best practices” for sharing projects, I know that many developers like Virtual Environments to be kept within the project folders themselves, while others prefer a centralized location (like in this write-up). My question is: When you’re sharing your project, do you just create a requirements.txt file (from your dependencies) and then, upload your project, by which the next developer downloads and then pulls all modules from the requirements.txt into their own virtual environment? Is that generally how that works? That way, locally, it doesn’t matter where the virtual env is stored so long as a requirements.txt file is generated?

Thank you for your hard work and any insight you might be able to provide in regards to my question!

1 Like