Volusion Downloadable Products

Im working with a new client who has a Volusion site. When customers purchase downloadable products, they have to wait for someone in sales to confirm the order before the customer can download the product. The issue is that they are not always checking the orders and sometimes they go to sleep at night and are not able to confirm the orders (humor). I’ve talked to a few Volusion support members and they I think were getting a bit testy. Maybe I am not wording my issue properly.

The user case I would like is: the customer comes to the website, sees a downloadable product, purchases it, his/her payment is authorized/processed, then low and behold they may download a product.

The current user case is: the customer comes to the website, sees a downloadable product, purchases it, his/her payment is authorized/processed, someone from sales takes anywhere from 10min to 1day to discover the order, confirms the order, the customer is sent an email and then the must go their account to download it

Compared to our competitors, we are not considered very good.

Our payment process is set to Authorize and Capture at Sale.

Any suggestions? Much obliged.

Welcome to the forums.

Things I’d comment on:

1. If the order payment has been completed then there’s no reason not to allow customers to download straight away, this is how most download sites work

2. Is there a valid reason why sales needs to look at all orders to confirm and activate the download for the customer? This certainly looks like a very weak point in the chain and could be doing you more harm than good!
    If there is a good reason then I suggest sending an email to sales every time someone orders a downloadable product so it can be actioned faster

This is precisely my point. I have to Volusion’s specifications done everything possible to make it an automatic download straight away. Most download sites work this way and we would like to as well. There is no valid reason why sales needs to look at all the orders and we don’t want to. I made a product absolutely free and purchased it and I still have to wait.

oh thank you by the way for welcoming! i have never belonged to a development forum, usually only google searching solutions from them. up to this point my poor wife has been the sole ear of my web/software “adventures” so i am looking forward to connecting with others.

Hi Xenj, on Volusion support page it says:

“If you would like customers to have access to their downloadable files immediately upon purchase, you can set your Credit Card Charge policies to Authorize and Capture at Sale or Authorize at Sale, Capture at Shipping and add instructions for accessing myaccount.asp to the OrderConfirmation_To_Customer.asp email template. That way, the payment will automatically be Received, and instructions for logging in and finding the download link(s)/file(s) will be automatically sent.” - https://support.volusion.com/article/downloadable-products

Have you tried this already? The other issue is that it seems to require that the order be “completed or shipped” to allow downloads. We may be able to write an API call to automatically mark as “shipped”.

We had read that, thank you. The process that we are working on now is (because customers didn’t read the instructions on the email) so what we are now doing to get it on the checkout page is to add a link to the field “Order Finished Note” and then i am going to edit the VSMTP_CLASS.asp file on our server to look for downloadable products then attach the pdf to the outgoing email if it is the order confirmation. thanks all!

The VSMTP_CLASS.asp edit didn’t work the way that I thought that it did. Has nothing to do with emails such as order confirmations.