Walking a Marathon

If it’s any consolation, the BBC online forecast is now showing dry weather on Sunday until 4pm in Glasgow and Balloch. Cold is easier to cope with than wet, in my opinion, so there’s a wee cheery-uppy. :slight_smile: (Of course, the Beeb have got it wrong before…)

For the last 1-2 miles, if there is a crowd. Put the music away. It’s an inspiration to hear all the people cheering you on :).

JOB DONE!!!

Overall it certainly wasn’t an easy task, and my feet are suffering from it today, but I’d do it again.

Before I knew it, I had done 16 miles, time had flew in and I was feeling pretty good. But from that point in, it was hellish, simply because of the sign posts every mile reinforcing the distance left. It seemed that the last 5 mile stretch dragggggged in. Mostly, due to the reduced pace and being aware of the distance.

I luckily wasn’t troubled by any blisters (I have one on my left ankle, but I didn’t feel it), so treating my feet before the during worked wonders. However, the last 2 miles was real hell because I had throbbing pains at the bottom of my shins at the ankle every step, I have never done this or near this sort of distance before so I’ll put that done too not being conditioned to it. Even today, when I lift my toes upwards towards my shin (dorsal flexion), it’s painful and I’d certainly like to know more about that, as in how to ease it off and strengthen it (without the obvious which is walk more 26miles) so maybe some experienced runners can chip in here?

Overall, it was a great experience, spoke to many strangers, and it was all for a great cause!

Good Sights and Long Roads ahead!!!

Was I pleased to see this!!

The Best Part!!!

Well done! Did the weather stay dry for you? It looks grey but not too wet in the pictures. Marathon-running-husband says that 20 miles is considered the “real” half-way point, because the last six are such hard work. :slight_smile: Did you find yourself speeding up under the Erskine Bridge? For some reason, I always have the sensation it’s going to fall on me. :rolleyes: I dunno why - the only other bridge that makes me feel like that is the Kingston Bridge. Sure helps me put on a spurt of speed. :lol:

Off Topic:

Congratulations, Chuggers! You have earned your “Helping Others” badge.

OK - I’ve asked Running Bear about this, and he diagnoses “shin splints”. Treatment is to ice it several times a day - wrap a bag of frozen peas around it for a few minutes if you don’t have an ice pack. Taking arnica tablets and/or using arnica ointment on it should also help. (I can testify to the effectiveness of the treatment. I’ve suffered shin splints once - and all I was doing was watching him run a marathon. :rofl:)

Apparently the cause is over-striding - taking too long a stride. You’re using the small muscles on the shin rather than the larger muscles in the calf. You need to change your walking technique to prevent the same problem in future. Possibly different walking shoes would help. There’s no way to strengthen muscles to prevent it happening.

Hope that helps. You have my sympathy, because it’s very painful, but the good news is that it should clear up pretty quickly.

Yeah I know when I ran my marathon, literally the last mile seemed to take 30 minutes. It was hell. Don’t even get me started on the last .2 of it…

@Technobear, there are a few causes to shin splints.

1. Terrible form. Though for walkers it’s not a huge case…
  2. New shoes/worn out shoes
  3. Over striding.

Congratulations. Great pictures. It’s a huge feeling of accomplishment doing a marathon, isn’t it :)?

[ot]

You missed “standing with your leg jammed against a crush barrier watching other folk running”. At least, I assume that’s how I got mine - sure as heck wasn’t any of the above. :)[/ot]

Well technically shin splints is just “pain in the shins” so in the spirit of adding causes…

An elementary school girl kicks you there.

Congratulations!

That’s a common but inaccurate use of the term (I’m told - Running Bear is a qualified athletics coach). “True” shin splints is a specific injury. @Albablue89 This might help: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/shin-splints/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Thanks all for the congrats and support!!

Weather was okay, stayed dry for the most of it, small rain showers here and there but was well wrapped up and hydrated from the start!!

Good Link.

I’m actual an health & exercise practitioner myself, however I have little experience with running athletics or dealing with runners / or ridiculously long walks. I’m aware ‘shin splints’ but due to never actually having them myself, or dealing with them, I didn’t really want to put a finger on it and outright say it was ‘shin splints’. But yes it’s certainly a repetitive strain injury of some sort.

Although having some knowledge in sport injuries, it isn’t my specific field, thus my intention to expand further on the subject.

From what I understand, it’s an overuse injury caused by the repetitive stress, which can be caused by many factors, although the one that I’m most familiar with is muscle imbalances between the posterior and anterior lower leg. So, basically I’ll put it down too never walking that or near that distance before and from neglecting my dorsiflexion.

So, in order to promote re-occurrence in the future, I’ll concentrate on doing resisted dorsiflexion alongside my calves from now on :).

I’m feeling back into gear today, following the METH protocol works wonders. By the way, METH is Movement, Elevation, Traction and Heat… Trumps RICE every time :slight_smile:

What I just advocated was actually what I was told this past Friday. I referred to it as specific injury as well although about 3-4 people all disagreed with me on the spot and kept saying it’s just pain in the shins. I should stand my ground more.

Congratulations!

Hope your shins feel better, don’t over do it to soon (been there done that).