Wampserver what am I missing?

I have made a simple site for a friend using wampserver. I am not wanting to publish the site to the web. I am am only wanting to be able to access the site through the network and occasionally have it online to access from across town with strick “Allow from” settings. After reading several tutorials on this I am able to access wampserver from any computer connected to the network with “Allow from 198.”. But when I try entering the external IP after i put wampserver Online. I see a page asking for username and password from netgear router setup. Any ideas?

dxm,

You need a DNS available to the others on your LAN so others on your LAN can find you.

Okay, not really a true statement but you will need to add your LAN IP address to your httpd-vhosts and your hosts file AND add your LAN IP to the other computers on the LAN you want to access your website.

Regards,

DK

When trying to access your server via external IP from inside your network, your router will catch it - NAT loopback.

Someone else outside will be able to access it from external so long as the correct ports have been forwarded even if you can’t.