Want to Level Up Your Career? Try Coding School

I went through something similar. The reason I joined EDS about a hundred years ago (owned by Ross Perot at the time) is that they put everyone though an intensive 3 month course to teach programming. Six days a week, 16 hours a day of class and homework. All you did was go to class, do homework, eat (quickly) and sleep (not enough!) (One major advantage was that the company paid full salary as well as put us up in company apartments in Dallas for free… no wives, no kids… like boot camp.)

Each new class started with about 20 people and at the end of the 3 months there might be 12 of us left (the others who washed out where given jobs in other non-tech parts of the company.)

Back then we started with IBM ALC, JCL, Procs, Macros, ISAM, VSAM, dump-debugging and ended with a couple of weeks of COBOL.

When you came out of the school you were assigned an account somewhere in the US or abroad (I went to San Francisco) and after about four months of further on the job training, the head-hunters knew that you were very, very good at programming and called you night and day hoping to poach you for one of their tech clients… you could write your own ticket.

This was 1976 but it’s still the same… perhaps more so today.

If you want to guarantee your future and make enough to not only live well but to sock away a lot of money for retirement, an intensive coding school might be something you should consider. It could be the best investment you ever made.

It’s what I’d do… because it’s what I did.