Web application to an app

I am in the process of developing an application that is accessible online, the application allows the company who has it to allow their staff to record problems or hazards in work to their managers.

At this point it is a website, and works fine, as the users can access the site via the internet on their mobiles or tablets or computers if the want, but my mian worry is as it cant have a log in screen, it then becomes accessible to anyone, so you could end up with all sorts of problems then.

What I’m thinking of to counteract this problem, is to turn it into an app to aloow them to download it to their phones, and tablets and then run it from there.

So my question is as this will be my first episode in app development, is this a brand new development or can I use the website as it is to then turn it into an app.

Thanks

There are apps that use an API key that allows use of the server backend stuff. So I think yoou could do similar. eg.

App only for those authorized to have it
App sends API key to server
If valid key server does it’s thing, else “sorry”

Hi,

Yes the front end data is entered into a database, and at the same time a manager is informed via email, where they are then able to access the data via the website.

So in effect this is 2 applications isnt it, where the front end is an app and the back end a website as such.

So basically to allow that front end to communicate with the database it needs an API key is that right?

How does this all work, do you have a tutorial handy or some knowledge base you can point me too, and also how do the users then download that app, as in where can they get it from, would they for instance be able to go to a centralised area where they can access the app to download it to their tablets and phones.

Like I said this wil be a first for me, and could do with a sort of how to guide if there one available.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I assume your app will be such that users will use any device they want, and they’ll enter data into fields, and then hit the Send button, and it’ll go to a manager as an email. Right? That is a very straightforward app. If you can do this on your website, then do so, and any user with a device can visit the page and send the data. If you want to limit who can use that page, then you’ll need to do a login page.

Since this would be a web app, it is essentially a web page designed to be read on small screens. You would simply create a login page on that page, then once authorized, they would enter the data-entry page, which is also sized to be readable on a small screen.