Web Host Recommendations

Hi guys,

I’m looking for a new web host to sign up with in a few months.
What I’m looking for is a package with a few databases, php support, subdomains, multiple mailboxes, basically the usual stuff.
What I want to host is my portfolio, possibly a blog (if I can be bothered) and have somewhere to do some experiments (probably subdomains).

I am, unfortunately, with streamline.net at the moment and I’m not impressed by their customer service or quality of service. They’re a pretty damn bad company and have been getting a hell of a lot of bad press and reviews recently.

If you have any recommendations, let’s hear them :slight_smile:

Oh, I’m from the UK so I’d prefer a UK host, but if a good offer comes along…

Cheers

I recommend justhost.com.
Disk and bandwith is unlimited.
The package include:
PHP, CGI, FrontPage, Perl,
free domain, email accounts, etc.
It has good hosting, great support.

Dataflame.co.uk is good. There are tons of other hosts out there. Do your research before hand. Your requirements are offered by most hosts.

Do you have a specific budget or does it matter?

There are plenty of web hosts which provide good services. Some of them are StartLogic, Dreamhost, Laughing Squid, IX Web Hosting, AN Hosting, HostICan and Bluehost. just compare the selected hosts and read reviews from other people. I would suggest you to go for a trial for couple of selected hosters and judge yourself as per your business requirements.

Disk and bandwith is unlimited.

The way to deal with solution which is not exist at all.
I recommend you ask them about any other possible limits.

There are always indirect limits, and any host retains the right to terminate or suspend accounts that threaten the server’s stability. Generally speaking, the more you pay, the more you can expect from the host.

Resource Usage

User may not:

Use 25% or more of system resources for longer than 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc.

Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons, such as IRCD.

Run any type of web spider or indexer (including Google Cash / AdSpy) on shared servers.

Run any software that interfaces with an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) network.

Run any bit torrent application, tracker, or client. You may link to legal torrents off-site, but may not host or store them on our shared servers.

Participate in any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities

Run any gaming servers such as counter-strike, half-life, battlefield1942, etc

Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes

When using PHP include functions for including a local file, include the local file rather than the URL. Instead of include(“http://yourdomain.com/include.php”) use include(“include.php”)

While our shared services are suitable for the bulk of our customers, there comes a time for some websites when they are better suited for a larger plan, which allows for more dedicated CPU and memory resources. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to discontinue service to any customer with a website or other hosted data that takes up more than 10% of the server resources and/or 10% of the server’s CPU. This means that if your website is found to be utilizing more than 10% of the CPU and memory of the service, we reserve the right to take your site offline. If this becomes necessary, you can either upgrade your hosting package, or request a pro-rated refund of the amounts you have paid in advance for the services. Due to the severity of this, and our ability to act quickly to correct these situations to avoid server issues, we will do everything reasonably feasible to provide you with a warning prior to taking your site offline, but we accept no obligation to do so.

INODES

The use of more than 50,000 inodes on any shared account may potentially result in suspension. Accounts found to be exceeding the 50,000 inode limit will automatically be removed from our backup system to avoid overusage. Every file (a webpage, image file, email, etc) on your account uses up 1 inode. Sites that slightly exceed our inode limits are unlikely to be suspended; however, accounts that constantly create and delete large numbers of files on a regular basis, have hundreds of thousands of files, or cause file system damage may be flagged for review and/or suspension. Over time, tens of thousands of messages (or more) build up, eventually pushing the account past our inode limit. To disable your default mailbox, login to cPanel and choose “Mail”, then “Default Address”, “Set Default Address”, and then type in: :fail: No such user here

Quoted from http://www.justhost.com/terms-and-conditions

That being said, their hosting has been a nice surprise, better than what I had expected based on customer reports I’ve read.

I currently use Hawkhost so i’ll recommend them cos i’m not complaining. Hostgator is another good host with good customer support.

I am very happy with Bluehost.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Why not go with HostGator?

One of my clients is with them and he is running nearly 25 sites, all WP based sites which is considered to be one of the most resource consuming script
(at least this is what my host told me when i was on wordpress)

Getting back to the question:
they have different servers located in different countries and i am sure there has to be one in U.K too… but you can always contact them about the same

I’m using most of what you’re looking for on my site, using GoDaddy’s shared hosting plan. My only wish so far is that they’d support APC, which isn’t on your list of criteria.

I do recommend hostgator as their support team is Awesome and helpful. Price = Quality

Hello,

Try out semoweb.com, this is what I use and recommend.

Icdsoft.com is wonderful, and I have used them for my own site as well as my clients for 7 years. Great pricing, and excellent support.

I’m hosting my site with “justhost” and things are going pretty nicely. you should try that if they meet up your requirements.

i am using blue dot since before 6 month. and it is good.

He is looking for UK web host, not US based and i am sure he may have found one, he started the thread in March, whats the point answering it so late ??

Sorry for not responding sooner, just been really busy with work and moving house.

I’m still on the lookout for new hosting. And I still haven’t found one that I really like.

Cheers

I’m quite happy with No-Wires | Advanced UK Web Hosting.
Good quality for a good price.