Web hosting Ireland

Can anyone recommend a reliable fast hosting company whose web servers are sited in the Republic of Ireland?

Amazon

Are you looking for Linux or Windows hosting? shared or VPS / Reseller? please provide your requirements…

I am looking for linux hosting, shared.

I’m with EastCoast… Amazon is most likely your most reliable option and not likely to disappear a year from now.

Amazon is reliable? Multiple outages per year in most locations?

@OP - I heard good things about http://www.blacknight.com/

Hlforr,

Please note that Matt is the CEO of a major (IMHO) hosting company operating out of both the US and UK. He is based in London so I’m certain that his recommendation is spot on because it’s his business and in his backyard!

Of course, after saying that, if blacknight.com does not meet your needs, I’m sure that Matt’s new UK hosting centre (I can’t confirm it now but I believe it’s in Brighton) will be able to sort out your needs in short order. I’ve been a client for many years (in the US) and am constantly amazed that I have not only had NO problems at all but outstanding service from his WHB support team.

Regards,

DK

They make the headlines when they have some downtime because they have a lot of high profile clients, and also a lot of start-up and developers who are big on social media and quick to let everyone know about any issues, but I dare say they have better uptime than most shared hosting, I’ve not personally had any substantial downtime in my EU nodes.

I do admire what they’ve done in making their cloud a true utility service but I cringe when I see mission critical websites/applications hosted by Amazon.

• When they have an issue, it is generally a major one. That’s the downside to a cloud built in this manner.
  • When they have an issue, how difficult is it to get support or find information? Much harder than a true hosting company.
  • Their support is designed to be self-serve. This works for some people but probably not the OP.

A good shared hosting company that puts importance on its infrastructure can easily compete, if not better, Amazon’s uptime.

Matt

Blacknight.com is the leading Irish hoster with over 100K domains hosted. The Irish Top 10 list by domains hosted is:

Blacknight.com 102,061
Register365.ie 66,372
Digiweb.ie 38,798
Letshost.ie 34,218
Irishdomains.com 14,017
WebhostingIreland.ie 10,902
Eircom.net 8,195
Webhost.ie 6,843
HostIreland.com 5,075
Webworld.ie 3,742

In terms of shared hosting volume, Blacknight.com would be the leader. Also if you are targeting the Irish market then a hoster that would be on the Irish Internet Exchange ( www.inex.ie ) would be better as that would mean that data intended for Irish users would be routed within Ireland (and thus the site would have a better performance in the Irish market).

Regards…jmcc

Amazon is great if you know exactly what you want to do and how to do it. Otherwise there is a significant learning curve. Shared hosting is completely different in that it is simpler and easier to get up and running. While Amazon’s Irish IP ranges are considered as being IE, I think that many search engines do not consider them, for geolocation purposes, Irish in the same way that the IP from an Irish webhoster would be considered Irish.

Regards…jmcc