Web-related topics you'd like to read about

Hi everyone.

I’m helping to edit articles on SitePoint’s Web channel, and would love to know what sorts of things you’d like to read about.

For example, are there specific technologies you’d like more articles on, or web industry issues that could use more coverage? Is there a format you prefer, such as article, tutorial, interview or video?

The Web channel is for web topics outside of specific areas like CSS, JavaScript etc. which all have their own channel. Current categories include APIs, Browsers, Cloud, CMS, Email, News, Open Source, OSs, Security, Software, Hosting & Domains. Are there other categories you’d like to see added?

I look forward to any feedback you can offer. :slight_smile:

Not sure but wanted to ask if “Real Time Apps” can be a topic to be discussed.

Certainly could be, @Lokesh. What interests you about them, and what sorts of things do you want to learn about them?

How about an article on classic books?

• Steve Krug’s “Don’t Make me think”
  • Jeffrey Zeldman’s “Designing With Web Standards”
  • Andy Clarke’s “Hard Boiled Web Design”
  • Ethan Marcotte’s “Responsive Web Design”

You get the idea…

1 Like

Nice idea, @chrisofarabia. Do you think this would be useful as a way to encourage others to read them, to revive important ideas, etc?

That’s generally the idea. There are so many books that have been written over the last 20 years on web stuff, that a curated list would be helpful for new starters as to where to dive in. I’ve just seen something that said Steve Krug’s book is used as a course reader in some places, for example.

Being a front end developer, it could be searching for questions like :-

• How to build real-time apps with javascript?
  • List of Real time web technologies exists in our arena
  • Use cases of building real-time apps

May be i am not sounding good but this is something which i can think of.

1 Like

I’m thinking articles on how to use browser dev tools to do simple CSS, JavaScript, Network performance etc. testing might be helpful.
Even if they only serve to increase awareness of their existence it would be a good thing.

2 Likes

I can’t help thinking a feature comparison and how to find the same/similar feature between different browsers would be handy.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. some nice suggestions there. Also, if you have any thoughts on general topic areas—as opposed to specific article topics—that would be great too.

It’s impossible to find a topic which explains how to auto deploy from github to your server (via hooks(?)). Some sort of SIMPLE CONCISE tutorial would be invaluable. All others over complicate matters.

I also suggested this a while ago to editor@sitepoint.com (no response), but deploying to Heroku - a simple article going over the basics would be nice. Again, another subject that seems complicated when looking at others. Although, having done it myself, I know it’s not overly complicated. Someone needs to just explain it properly.

I’m just thinking of issues I’ve had lately that I had trouble finding decent information on…

Good question, Ryan. I’ve even been shown how to do it and am still confused. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, good suggestion. It’s often useful to have a tutorial from someone who can still remember what it’s like to learn about it—so if you feel you have an article in you … :wink:

Cool, keep 'em coming. :slight_smile:

If the editor got back to me 6 months ago, then I could have maybe written one, but it’s been far too long to remember it in full :slight_smile: . I’d have to do another deploy job to remember all of it.

All my free time is spent on my personal project, so I will have to decline. There are much better authors than me here on SP anyway :wink: .

:thumbsup:

No problem! Thanks Ryan.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.