WebForms vs. Windows Forms Applications

Up to now I’ve only really worked with ASP.NET (both WebForms and MVC) but have never tried my hand at building an application for Windows.

I’ve been working at moving one of my Web Forms pages to an executable but things just don’t flow as easily. I’ve got it to work but I’m not sure if “best practices” (or at least the practices I’m used to) translate between the two technologies.

For example, I’m filling a DataGridView in the app using Linq to Sql which is taking the column header names from the “select new {}” but that doesn’t give me control over additional fields I may want to add and if I do they are both tacked into the DataGridView. I’m not familiar with binding without <itemtemplates> and such.

Can anyone suggest a tutorial or book to get me started?

I would suggest leaving winForms and go into WPF rather. Newer and better tech IMHO

That’s fine. I’m just starting so I’d really like to get on the right path before delving in.

Since you told me what to look for I found http://www.wpftutorial.net/ :slight_smile:

Hope it’s up to date.

Is WPF to be preferred over WinForms in every situations or are there times when WinForms makes more sense? I’m not concerned with complex/simple or large project/small project, if WPF does what WinForms can do and is considered it’s replacement that’s more important to me.

Yes, wpf is the new version of win forms and is a lot more advanced and more powerfull. It is the same syntax to silverlight, so you can get 2 techs down at the same time.

Excellent! Thanks. :slight_smile: