Webpage Database

I am building a site that will have multiple products. I want to build a database with product description, pics, price, etc. and be able to have a standard page that will pull from this database and fill in the standard page with the product content.

My purpose is to have a formal database rather than hundreds of HTML pages. I have had success learning a little PHP and MySQL, but I’m not sure how to approach my specific need.

It seems like I should have links to specific products and I could pass parameters to MySQL functions to pull from my database, but an href doesn’t seem like it could pass arguments.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

sure it can

for one example, look at the url for this thread

the hrefs are identical for all threads in the forum database, except that each one contains the forum name, the forum number, a few words from the thread title, and the thread number – those are all arguments

oh man that’s great news! and thanks for the reply.

So i tried it and here’s where I’m at…i’m sure its got multiple problems. My hosting site (godaddy) freezes up when I try to upload the sample page I posted below.

In this code the database.php file will use the “code” and “color” arguments to make decisions based on the database (this is not how it will be for real, but just an example i thought up). The site I found this method on was using javascript to pull the parameters, but I am using PHP. Does my database.php need specific tools/commands to pull the parameters?

<html>
<head>
  <title>Products</title>
</head>
<body>
<a href="database.php"?code=gun&color=silver>Silver Gun</a>
<a href="database.php"?code=holster&color=tan>Tan Holster</a>
</body>
</html>

i would imagine so

unfortunately i can’t help you, i do coldfusion, not php

<a href="database.php"?code=gun&color=silver>Silver Gun</a>