Wedding Photography Tips

Hello guys,
My name is Angela and I am new to photography. I am interested in doing wedding photography. Can you guys guide me about wedding photography tips what to care when capturing photographs and other things you can suggest me will be really appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

I am by no means a professional [though not for want of it], but I’ve found the best wedding photos I’ve seen are the candid ones from the reception. I’m a big candid photography advocate, so I might be a bit biased, but capturing moments between people when they aren’t aware of it to me creates the most effective photographs. As for getting started or anything, I’d be willing to bet that a combination of having good camera equipment [even just a really good camera], an awesome online portfolio [coupled with some good photo editing skills] and a few connections could get you pretty set up to start getting paid for wedding photographs. Just keep practicing and take photos of everything you do! Even menial events such as picnics and parties. Should get you the practice and experience you need.

Also, don’t be afraid of white space. Can really do a lot for the composition of a photograph. <3

If you are new to photography, check this list of videos

If you just need to know how a wedding works, start shooting all your friends.
This is how you interact with real people and understand lots of things.

About technical details: get a dedicated flash, spare batteries (for camera and flash) and a good light objective (F1.8 - F2.8). Also, you should have a wide objective 18mm or max 35mm (to get small spaces in a single picture). Also, not an expert wedding photographer but, I had some experiences.

For the gear, 24-70 is very popular in wedding photography, on FX body. And you should learn more about the light.

[ot]

:eek:
That sounds more like a funeral to me … :shifty:[/ot]

Off Topic:

Funny!
Ok, I rewrite: “start shooting all your friends in RAW” :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m talking about “working with people” and interacting with their needs, issues, preferences and so on.
You have to understand that after camera settings, checking light and exposure, choosing the right glass, checking nice background and other technical details you also need to focus on:

• motion and avoiding blurry faces (you need a good shooter-speed)
  • how to be discrete (people react different with a camera into their face, you must be “invisible”)
  • setting the perfect white balance (you don’t need dead zombies with yellow faces or aliens, with blue-green skin - ok, this is the first thing and it’s into “technical concerns”)
  • moving into positions that are not disturbing for the event host (not disturbing the band, waiters or clients)
  • using a flash without getting all guests blind (check your bouncing options)
    …and so on

What I’m trying to say is that working with humans is way harder than shooting a landscape or some objects.

I knew what you meant, @vectorialpx - I was just teasing - but thanks for expanding. There are some good points in there. :slight_smile:

To others: the OP is asking specifically about wedding photography. Any general photography tips will be deleted as fluff.

More than anything else (it’s taken as read that as a commercial photographer you know the technical stuff inside out) you need to be an amiable, sociable and socially aware person to be a great wedding photographer, because there is a balance of discretion and friendly forwardness to be struck throughout the different phases of the day.

At some points stealth and forward thinking will help you get great candid shots without people posing for the camera unnaturally, but at others you will have to cajole and corral a disparate crowd that has other priorities, and with very limited time frames - but you may only get one chance.

It helps to get there early and to identify who the key players are try and strike up conversation with guests as soon in the day as possible - then when critical moments arrive they’ll be more cooperative.

Arrive on the scene early and gauge likely settings and shooting positions required (particularly indoors in low light if you need to shoot flashless). You’ll need excellent kit, and backups of absolutely everything - there can be no rerun.

Know the locale well and where there are picturesque locations nearby for posed photos - even if you have to briefly travel off site it’s worth it, particularly if the main location isn’t amazing.

I have done some wedding photography for friends and family; and the basuc rules I follow are:

-avoid cheesy pictures like shots of the groom kissing the bride’s hand
-Try to capture real moments; one of the guests laughing; someone smiling during the ceremonia… the kind of memories the couple will want to look at over and over