What annoys you the MOST about this forum?

I mean half-understandings like the one above that led to arguments where a “lesser” forumer would be looked at suspiciously and assumed to be wrong…

Because it doesn’t matter if you use fixed layouts or px measurements, RWD is not about that, switching to fluid or relative values, you can RWD with fixed and px. And the list is a little longer, of all the things one had to fight around badges, when otherwise a little more acceptance and openness to new would’ve gone a long way.

And if you’re just fishing with that “fixed” and “px” then consider me hooked :slight_smile:

So I got you hooked! That’s great!

Just kidding. I didn’t think about fishing or anything. It is that I have the habit of creating fluid layouts instead of fixed and I do (personally) associate RWD with as fluid as possible. But you’re right. RWD is not about fluid or fixed. You can have a fixed layout and still be responsive.

I can see how a habit of mine can be create a confusion while explaining the concept even if I know the difference.

What can I say? I’m not perfect (yet :p)

I came here to post this, and am glad that someone else has raised this.

The descriptions for most of the programming forums are seriously outdated. The fact that we call Classic ASP a viable platform and .NET a next-generation platform is laughable in itself, considering how mature the .NET framework is.

However, as much as I’d love to see the forums ditching the importance of WordPress and embracing the likes of Python, Ruby, Go, Clojure, Scala, and co, it would be stupid to create a forum without at least one user that is able to help with these problems.

At the moment, Perl and Python are (for some bizarre reason) in the same forum. We get a few posts by users needing help with Python, but without people that know the language well it would turn into a graveyard.

What I’d like to see is a form of intent, for a new development forum. If the users want to see a new Python forum, at least five users (including a member of staff) should commit to being there to help with Python related issues, and should commit themselves to spending at least some time a week in the forum to at least post.

It’s a catch 22, I guess. The forums won’t change because the desire to talk modern languages isn’t there, but the forums no longer reflect the realities of modern development,. and it runs the risk of not being fit-for-purpose.

Start a thread in the staff lounge and we’ll update them. Easy.

Under those circumstances I’d totally be up for creating a new sub-forum. But as you say, if there is no one to answer questions (or even ask them, in lots of cases) it’s not worth setting up a whole lot of new sub-forums.