What are the best tools to manage a web project and communicate with the customer?

I need a good app to manage my projects and I also need a good way to share my git commits with the customer. Is there any good tools for this? What are the tools you use?

Ping @cpradio – he might have some good advice here.

1 Like

There are a variety of tools, to be honest. But I’m a bit stumped on “share my git commits with the customer”.

What exactly do you want to send to the customer? As most customers rarely understand code, so to send them the commit, means very little to them.

Can you give me an example/story? (that you are trying to improve)

1 Like

Sorry please correct me if im wrong. I just wanted to let the customer what I do. That there’s progress in the project. Otherwise if I go silent for a long time the customer might get nervous right?

1 Like

Ah, okay. In that regard, what I do is produce a log of the recent github commits, which is what Discourse does.

Now that may be a bit over the top for what you want to do, in which case, I recommend just scheduling a meeting on your calendar with yourself at the end of each week to go through your recent commits and send an email to your client/customer.

Usually doesn’t take too long. I actually only inform my customers as I reach certain milestones and then I give an estimate as to what I think it will take to reach the next milestone. It has worked well for me and usually the milestones set are something I can also “show off” so if they want a demo of that milestone, it is usually doable.

1 Like

If what you want is better communication with your customer, you may want to your IFTTT (ifttt.org) instead. With that, you can send an automated e-mail notification everytime you do some changes in your git

It may be easier for your customers

Also remember some clients may just find it annoying and only want to hear from you when you finish, or if something has gone wrong and the plan needs to be delayed or changed.

1 Like

That’s true. You should agree with your customer when he wants to receive updates. Maybe once every two weeks will be enough

1 Like

I think that is way too often and you’d be informing them on things that “may not be finished”. Granted if you tag your “milestones” in GIT, you can utilize IFTTT to run off of those (I’ve never done it, but I imagine it’s possible)

1 Like

Or you can simply use a fork of the original development, and use IFTTT to send an automatic message when you merge. There are different possibilities :smiley:

1 Like

Or better yet, a branch :wink:

2 Likes

Well, that’s what I meant… I mean, you understand me, don’t you?

1 Like

@molona @cpradio @RT_ Thanks a lot guys! I think it’s better to limit the messages the client gets. And i’ll check IFTTT. Thanks!

1 Like

Let us know if you run into issues setting it up (whatever approach you take).

1 Like

I will :smile:

NO…NO… don’t do that! don’t trust him! he’s dogy :stuck_out_tongue: runs and hides before @cpradio tries to kill her

1 Like

Hahaha :smile:

You could simply use Bitbucket (free for up to five users), Github ($7/mo for couple of private repository) or set up a private instance of Gitlab on a VPS (which will costs you about $20/mo because it need at least 2Gb of RAM) to put code on.

Then you can give access to your client: guest (so she can only see the code), developer (so he will be able to also change your code) or even admin. Bonus: on each of these tools i enumerated you can make good use of Issues or Wiki.

The best way is to give weekly demo. If you can’t give a weekly demo then I question your choice of technologies or architecture. For example, you say
“This week, I have implemented login” and you simply demo the login aspect. Giving a demo is so CRUCIAL!!! You don’t know how many times the customer changed their requirement after I showed it to them. All customers LOVE demo’s.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.