What are you reading when you are not designing?

hahaha! Cool cool.

I cant read the whole book in one bite. I stay the whole day staring at my computer/phone that my eyeballs hurt at the end of the day, and I started to “listen” books in my car.
One of the incrediblest books I ever read last time was “Shantaram” by David Roberts. It’s a heavy brick of 1000 pages but it travels you to the heart of India and truly shakes your mind with the dangerous reality. This whole story is autobiography of an Australian criminal, yes, author himself Gregory David Roberts. How he nearly died in ugliest prison, how he founded free of charge hospital for poor indian people, how he became involved in criminal world, and the rest.
I became a real fan of the author, the book and Indian culture. The book rights were bought by Johnny Depp but rumors say they still dont have budget to film the movie.

Currently, I’m looking for other strong and powerful story to shake me and motivate me. Sci-books are good, but it’s kind an escape from reality, no?

I read The Kite Runner and Cutting for Stone when not coding. These two novels just take me out the world. :slight_smile:

when it comes to reading, i read magazines related to mobile technologies and some times comics also.

You can look at it like that or you can look at it as a vision of the future (at least, Julio Verne was able to imagine the man on the Moon and he got that right, and it seems that some new study seem to prove that there’s water in the Center of the Earth and that a trip to it may be possible one day) or a test of the imagination.

I don’t mind reading about reality books but I already have a lot of reality in my life :slight_smile:

I am usually reading news magazines and sometimes SEO related books.

I’m not a designer so the question doesn’t apply to me, but I’m jumping in anyway.

I absolutely love to read. I even have a “library” in my home - actually an unused bedroom packed with bookcases that are packed with books.

I like reading technical books, sci-fi, nature, gardening, mystery, philosophy, religion, medical, etc. if the field ends with “ogy” or “ism” I’ll read it.

[ot]giving away my age here, but that reiminds me of a quote from the 60’s

“Reality is just a crutch for people who can’t handle drugs.”
[/ot]

There is some really interesting and varied reading going on by the sound of it!

As Pullo and I have mentioned to each other on more than one occasion, there just doesn’t seem to be enough time in the day to keep up with all the reading we’d like. Although I don’t read as many books as I used to, I do read an awful lot of articles and blog posts. I’ve got a browser extension called Pocket, which I use to save any interesting reading I come across during the day, then in the evening I can open up the app on the iPad to read what I saved (it formats the text to make it more like an ebook).

Talking of ebooks, does anyone have an opinion on ebook readers? It takes forever for books to arrive in Brazil when I order on Amazon, so I’m thinking of getting a Kindle and going digital… I do prefer having real books on my shelves though!

I’ve just finished the last book in the Dune saga (the last one written by the original author anyway) which was pretty epic. I’m thinking of starting Asimov’s Foundation series next. I also like to read non-fiction… anything about science (as Mittineague says, all the -ologies!), history or the world in general.

Reminds me of the Metallica song ‘For Whom the Bell Tolls’: “For a hill, men would kill. Why? They do not know…”

Exactly! I’ve always loved sci-fi for that reason… exploring the possibilities of what might be. It’s also tends to be a good genre for exploring ethical, social and philosophical ideas.

sigh sadly most of my books are in storage back in the UK :frowning:

I read book love and romantic …

Every book I’ve read in the last 5yrs has been on my HTC phone or my Galaxy Tab 8. The Kindle App is pretty good and there is an even better Android app called FB Reader (nothing to do with Facebook) that’s even better if you get your books as .epub or .mobi. Both apps are pretty customizable and I personally don’t have a problem because I read at night and my phone is probably 2-3 inches from my face. The tablet is def a lot better though.

I would love a Kindle Paperwhite, but $120 is too much for an eReader I don’t really need.

I usually prefer to read different types of books like religious books , novels , motivation books and especially books related to management. Reading is the best option whenever we are free. Sometimes I read financial and economy newspapers also.

Thanks