What Competitions Would You Like To See Here?

Those of you that have been around for a while will know that we try to run a competition of some description every month.

There is currently nothing running due to it being Awards season, but we’re planning another photography competition for the holidays (more details soon).

I’m interested in hearing your competition ideas. If they are feasible, we’ll look at running them next year.

Programming, again? Database Design/Development? Site Speed Optimization? System Administration?

I realize most (excluding Programming) would be very hard to judge, but they are just ideas.

[FONT=“Georgia”]How about a Photochop Matt Mickiewicz competition…?

[/FONT]

I have thought of doing a PHP test where a task is given, the members submit there code by pm/email and the good ones or at least the one’s that do the best solution for the task gets posted for others to see and comment on.

This may lead to a competition. :slight_smile:

All ideas are gratefully accepted. :slight_smile:

What I would love to see is to allow Sitepoint members who sell products to be able to offer their product as one of the prizes for the contest. I would certainly be happy to give away a few copies of phpLD.

You’re a generous guy, DV.

Me, I’d love to see a “Redesign Jakob Nielsen’s Site!” competition, but I doubt he’d let us do it… It would be something of a challenge, making it all 21st-century spiffy and elegant while remaining totally accessible.

I had an idea, out of respect to Dan Schulz, why don’t we pay respect to a fellow member, and try to clone one of his projects? And whoever get’s the closest would win? I never knew the guy personally, but I thought it would be a cool idea.

One html file, 1K, validation doesn’t matter, who can do the most creative thing?

With images, midi sound and a nice big splash screen :slight_smile:

You can compress the code with some handy tools to get it lightweight.

Seems nice. Maybe with some restrictions of scripting languages and libraries, etc… Otherwise it gets too easy :wink:

Oh yes, I was thinking no external dependencies at all, no stylesheets, libraries, images, just 1K 1file because hey, who needs 5K when you can have just 1 :wink:

What would be nice also is to see big companies doing competitions here.

Definitely like programming contests here. Finding something that is small enough to be doable while being meaty enough to be judgable is tricky. Perhaps some sort of focused API client contest?

I’d be game for that :smiley:

[FONT=“Georgia”]Wait, I have a better one…

Photoshop Ryan Reese!

[/FONT]

I want to see SEO related opics and wuestions

@Hawk

I would love to see a mascot competition for sitepoint, something which would create a single character to sum up sitepoint as a whole.

Just a thought.

That would be fun. Though judging would be difficult unless it was something like, submit to accesssites or one of those places and have their score next to a SitePoint score of “how pretty did you manage to make it?”… an overall score would be based on those two.

Yeah he had been working on “accesible wordpress” I believe, or maybe it was just Strict-and-valid Wordpress (lawlz).

Huh, nice idea. :slight_smile: