What do you think of listing a phone number contact?

I have a Google phone number that I have linked to my cell phone, so I use it as my business number.

What do you guys think of listing local (non 800 numbers) on your sites?

My site is promoting my design and web development skills. So my main goal is for a client to call or fill out a contact form.

Do you think people our turned off by local numbers? Will they think since, they aren’t familiar with the number that they assume my business is more local oriented?

My site also is not a “freelance oriented” site, I don’t have a picture of myself or biography, etc. I’m trying to keep it professional yet very open to communication, so if anyone has a question, “give us a call or fill out the contact form.” That’s the angle I would like to take.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

I like to see phone numbers on sites I do business with - and to be honest I don’t care what the number is as long as it isn’t premium rate.

In fact, a standard (local) phone number can sometimes be preferable because those numbers are included as calls in mobile plans whilst others (freephone or otherwise) are not and you have to pay extra. There’s even a website here in the UK called SayNoTo0870 which gives local phone numbers for the 0870 (business) numbers so people don;t have to pay extra.

Yeah I guess it really depends on the user, and you’re right about the mobile plans

I always suggest that clients put a contact phone number on their site. In this age no one pays long distance charges anymore; it comes free with their plan. Therefore, I no longer suggest using an 800 number.

If a client does not wish to use their own phone number for privacy sake, I suggest they go to faxaway.com where they can get a free voice mail box where they may record their own message. Any calls to that number are forwarded to you immediatly via a wave file attachment to an email.

See we’re the opposite. We have a premium rate number to stop people ringing. Was frustrating people ringing that were often tyre kickers for a £20 sale.

Horses for courses though - and I do agree a free/lo cost number & a number included in mobile tariffs is probably the way forward.

I have been using my mobile as my primary Business Phone System and there have not really been any problems with it. However, when I am doing [url=http://www.thedigest.com/business_long_distance]Business Long Distance, there seems to be a reluctance for some clients to dial a local number. Hope this helps.
-Charlie