I've never used Fireworks but what are it's strong points over Photoshop ? And are their any alternatives to Fireworks ?
I'm going to make a wild guess that one of it's strengths is you can export slices and any desired resolution. In photoshop you can export slices, what I hate and I hope I explain this correctly is if you have a layout of 2000 x 2000 and you create the slice and you want the slice at 125x256 it won't work. I know there is a slice dimensions option but it's just that, for slice dimensions. I find I have to export the slice, re-import it into photoshop and then change the dimensions but I'm going to leave the door open if there is a solution to this.
I just took a class on this at the post-graduate level and this is how our professor outlined it: Adobe owns both Photoshop and Fireworks, so they must both have good qualities.
Fireworks is a web design product that happens to have image editing capabilities while Photoshop is an image editor that happens to have web design capabilities.
I read a pretty good comparison at http://imagexmedia.com/blog/2010/5/considerations-about-photoshop-vs-fireworks-web-design.
Hope his helps.
Fireworks is built to design for the web. Photoshop has been adapted to design for the web and is not optimized for it.
OK, at that level anything can be used for anything.. if you know how.
Fireworks is especially suited for the web, mainly, for the following reasons:
- FW is preconfigured for web work , as an example it will open files at 72 dpi ( tho this, like any default can be changed)
- Less fine drawing tools, effects, etc., but more control over slicing and layering.
- You can save for web using either HTML or CSS. This is kinda useless, but it let's yousee the intended use of the program
- Optimized file output. This is like save for web on steroids... and it seems to be set by default ( you cant save TIFF in FW...)
- I would say, when using FW for images, that it behaves more like FLASH. In some cases , when doing web work this can be handy.
- HERE'S THE BIGGIE: ANIMATED GIFS/PNGs!!! FW makes creating animated gifs quite intuitive; PS requires plug ins and a lot of effort.
This topic is now closed. New replies are no longer allowed.