What domain extension should I get?

I am registering a domain and I do not know what extension I should buy for my domain. The pre-extension stuff is 5 characters long. (Not saying what it is so not trolls reserve the domain) The .com, .net, .org, and .info are taken. I am willing to get the .us, .biz and .me. Personally, I want to get the .US domain. Maybe, it’s because they are cheap or because it makes the domain super short or whatever. I still wasn’t sure, so what domain extension should I get/do you recommend?
(Suggest some more extensions if you like! :D)

I’d just get the .com. The others aren’t needed in my opinion. Google will see the first who had it.

triplehexel said the .com for his name is already taken.

I would also just go with a .com that is available so I’d suggest looking for alternatives to the name xxxxxapp.com xxxxxnow.com etc…
http://gettingreal.37signals.com/ch13_Name_Hook.php

Ahh didn’t see that. I would find an available .com my self

With the domain that you’re intending to get are the .com, .net, .org, and .info extensions all taken by the same person or company? If they are you should check to make sure that the domain name isn’t a trademark. IANAL. If the site that your intending to use the domain for is in a different industry you might be ok, but to be sure you should consult a lawyer.

I agree with SpacePhoenix. Also, one more thing I would look into is what kind of a site I have. Though .com rules, if I don’t get a .com, I will try for .org or .biz if it’s a business or anything. .net or .info for information. .me or .pro for info about myself alone. And something like that. Or get your country domain extension. .us, .de, .in or whatever.

I’ll say try .com if you can’t go for local, country specific domain like .us or .co.# etc.

If you can’t get the .com, you should probably go for the .us extension.

[FONT=Verdana]Please read the first post carefully before replying:

However much you may like .com domains, this one is already taken, so please base your replies on the information the OP has given.
[/FONT]

What’s it for? If its for a business or ecommerce site or branding is important, .com is a must. So choose a different domain and/or buy on the aftermarket.

i wouldn’t touch anything other than country code e.g. .co.uk or .us or main tld .com .net. i’d go as far as saying i’d change my domain choice rather than register .biz, .me (unless it’s a personal online portfolio), or .info.

.com will always be the first choice, anything other than .com, .net, .org will most likely go unnoticed.

[COLOR=#008000]As this thread seems to have run its course:

Thread Closed[/COLOR]