What ever happened to FREE content, ey Sitepoint?

Remember when you could go to Sitepoint and find quality articles that weren’t associated with a book Sitepoint were flogging? Remember when Blog posts weren’t created to funnel traffic to Sitepoint “live” video courses? Sitepoint is no longer a good source of up to date industry news either.

What happened?

Of course they do. You should boycott!

[FONT=“Georgia”]Those last two were me, by the way. Not php_daemon.

Well, you’re still here somehow.

It reminds me of all of those avid Facebook-users, who criticise all day long how bad Facebook is.

Whatever, I give up.

[/FONT]

Actually I already have. I haven’t purchased a single thing from them since, but hey since there is a forum here, with some 100,000’s+ members why should I lose out on that possible community connection, because of a few over zealous employees? They don’t make anything off me communicating with other members…

[FONT=“Georgia”]Of course it’s not.

'Cause if it was, I know if that genuinely happened to me, I’d be so offended I’d have deleted my account and thrown away the key.

[/FONT]

Nothing wrong with making money but their are companies out there that make it through not so great ways. Comes down to ethics and morals.

Yes I run a business and a website with no ads and free content. I’m working for free for that website right now developing a download manager application.

We can both make money but I have a right to criticize those companies that make money through cheap tricks and funnel marketing.

They have not succeeded in my opinion they are in fact failing, why would I envy something that is failing so badly?

Of course not, well, maybe emotionally, you like being a mentor? Read up on a little book called Status Anxiety :wink:

It’s not the courses, or books, it’s the once great website that is soley a work horse for their other work.

Err, no, it was… freelance articles. I was already a skilled web developer, looking to become a better business person.

You must be right… … There is no chance it couldn’t be what I said.

[FONT=“Georgia”]They wouldn’t have given you an infraction for your opinion. Only how you expressed it.

[/FONT]

[FONT=“Georgia”]Is anyone forcing you to learn or adopt HTML5 ?

If your experience leads to you ignore it for now, then do so. Why gripe about anyone else around who wants to make a fuss?

So they’re advertising books and courses, so what? They make a living off of keeping up with web trends. When you first joined, that’s probably what brought you here; Whatever “in” thing was happening at that time, that you needed to learn about.

[/FONT]

For example, what?

note: this is my opinion, which I am entitled to.

[FONT=“Georgia”]Yeah, and?

That means I’m not allowed to question it?

[/FONT]

I have already gotten enough infractions for pointing some of those out.

You’ll have to figure it out on your own.

To be honest I thought you’d be the first person to reply and slap me around Alex for commenting badly on the “almighty” sitepoint :lol: Glad to see it’s not the case.

php_daemon, it’s got nothing to do with money as VicToMeyeZr says.

HTML5 only means one thing, $$$ to the first that can cash in. Everyone is trying to scare people into being left behind on a boat that hasn’t even set sail yet, the plans haven’t even been finished! I’ve been a web developer for 10 years, seen a lot of marketing buzz. There is an advantage to sitting back and waiting for all the eager beavers to go in first.

I already answered that.

Used to be providing good unbiased knowledge to people, and they made money doing it.

Now its only providing things that represent their advertisers, and not about what really is the best solutions.

I personally wouldn’t do any business dealings that hurt my name, and image. Some don’t care. All the more power to them.

If I found anyone advertising on my site to be dishonest, I would drop them immediately. I don’t care how much money they may or may not make me,

note: this is my opinion, which I am entitled to.

[FONT=“Georgia”]Okay, so what’s the true objective?

[/FONT]

You didn’t read it right.

just plain hide your true objective.

Thats the latter

[FONT=“Georgia”]Really, man?

Really?

Sitepoint lies, cheats and steals?

Holding back on something they’ve once given away is stealing from you?

[/FONT]

Never said there was anything wrong with making money.
You can make money, the good old fashion way, where you provide a good honest service, and treat people and customers with respect, or you can do it the new way. Lie, cheat, steal, or just plain hide your true objective.

SP, took the latter. Build a large base, then change the whole plan, and make it only about selling everything. SP used to be about making knowledge the key and helping people improve their styles, and now it ONLY about making $…

See most modern day companies fail to realize, that you can make money doing it honestly and transparently… Believe it or not, customers like to be treated fairly, and shown that a company does truly appreciate their business. No one does that anymore. I believe a new breed of business’s are coming. Consumers are fed up with it…

We have pointed out, and pointed out, that 1and1 is fraudulent is their business doings, but still SP advertises for them.

They used to put out many articles about web related items, and guess what that STILL made them money, but now its ONLY about what they are selling. Its a valid point…

I think it’s excellent that Sitepoint doesn’t take posts down even when it is negative criticism.

You have to give them credit for that. As far as free; I have gotten quite a bit of help on these forums provided by Sitepoint and they have been responsive to questions that I have.

But I have given them grief as well (it’s to be expected by any company worth their salt) and they have responded in a professional manner.

One thing that could be done; for anyone that wants to see interesting free content, submit a blog post idea. Yea you and them could make money, but what are you gonna do?

A well written article will save more money for the readers than you or Sitepoint will profit from it.

Making money the good old fashioned way is called prostitution. :shifty:

I like sitepoint. But I have to say they have become all about money. How much and how fast is the key for sitepoint now. I used to suggest people come to this site for help, knowledge and just to check it out. I don’t suggest this to anyone anymore. I still come to the site, but I am here already. I find parts of it useful while others irritate me to no end.

I have said it before and my posts were deleted. Just like these will probably be deleted. But the truth is, sitepoint doesn’t care who they represent so long as they keep getting paid. I have dealt with admins here and all kind of not so good treatment. But in the end, 1 admin and another mod agreed with me. Said I was right and yet nothing changed. It’s not because the people that work here don’t want change for the right reasons but because the owners could care less about you, me or anyone else unless of course, the income slows down. Then they can just have Kevin and others make new videos and write more books so they can advertise more stuff :smiley:

For the average user of this site I personally wouldn’t use it because of sitepoint anymore. They are useless and not worth dealing with. However, the users they have here are worth it and most have good questions and the rest have good answers. The users make this site worth visiting. But hey, who needs sitepoint for that. Isn’t there a place you can get all of this without their ads and misleading supporters sitepoint recommends to their users?

Making money is a good idea for a business. But I think it is sad that for a designer to get a banner on this site like 1and1 you would need over $2000.00 a month to even get started. But don’t worry! Sitepoint cares about the poor people and new and upcoming businesses and they have the trailer park ad system in place for people that can only spend a few hundred a month. The rest are out of luck.

Sitepoint does promote it’s own companies, 99designs for example is owned by sitepoint. Sitepoint has their own advertising and marketing company which they use to allow you to advertise on this site and others they own. That isn’t the issue I have though. That is smart business. The issue I have is that they charge way to much for advertising and they don’t’ care what they are supporting. You could sell crack and if you paid sitepoint what they wanted to advertise they would post your crackhead poster child on the front of every page. You could be in the Taliban and if you gave them a check… You get your bin laden in your sitepoint newsletter. Money is the key here now. Not the users like it used to be and what made this site what it is today. They lost focus and need to get it back. At least turn down putting banners up for a company you have hundreds of users posting negative experience with! Come one! Your users complain about a company they deal with, that company pays sitepoint, sitepoint is trusted by the users and they post their banners EVERYWHERE and even email them to you… How nice is that? Make money, but have some damn self respect!

Well, I partially see your point about banners, but does that mean that they should only take advertisers with perfect feedback? There won’t be many advertisers that fit the description. And it’s not like SP tells us “we recommend this company” - you have your own head on your shoulders and have to understand what an ad banner stands for.

Regarding the pricing, you have to be kidding. I don’t think the prices are any higher than on any other site on the market. The cost goes down to the CPM and I don’t see why SP should offer cheaper advertising than the industry’s standard.

Still this whole point of view is foreign to me. SP has provided all this great free content (including the forums) for over 10 years and now you, after consuming that content for a number of those years, condemn them to eternal damnation for a little detail that you don’t like? That’s not very cool either. It’s like “let’s loot whatever good we can get and leave the rest”.

How about expressing your opinion in a friendly, polite manner without the irony and hate comments. Then your posts won’t be deleted either.