What fonts do you use in headings and body?

Hi all,

What fonts do you use for your headings and body sections? i.e. h1, h2 , h3 and so on and in your content for maximum readability.

Thanks

I’m actually working on an article about this. There is no good simple answer to your question. It’s a matter of taste, readability, and effect. I prefer a strong serif font for my heading (say, the Palatinos), and a classy, thin sans-serif for my text (say Frutiger or Helvetica Neue), but that’s strictly a matter of personal style and desired effect. The Web standard used to be the reverse: sans-serif headlines and serif text. Basically, you need to create a strong “font stack” to appeal to the widest possible audience: begin with the font that you like the best, then following with more widespread alternatives and finishing with the generic serif or sans-serif (or monospace, or cursive, or whatever).

Some people advise you just stating serif or sans, and letting the user’s default settings come into play, but I don’t agree.

I always use Verdana or Arial on my H tags

Two problems. One, Verdana and Arial do not equate: Verdana is a “wide” sans-serif and Arial is narrower. They don’t go well together. Better to use Geneva and Corbel with Verdana, and Helvetica/Helvetica Neue and Tahoma with Arial. Second, Arial, according to my reading, sucks most extravagantly as a Web font. Use something else, and stick Arial in the back of the stack, next to the generic tag.

Interesting read. I also like Arial and Georgia for H tags and Verdana for text in many cases. I also like Tuhoma for H tags too.

Why do you think Arial sucks?

Arial gets more flack than it deserves. It’s not a great font, but it’s not horrible either. I sometimes tend to use Arial Black for headings and regular Arial for body. It’s not my favorite font, but sometimes it fits the design. Trebuchet MS is usually my font of choice for body, though. If OS X were the ubiquitous OS, I’d probably use Helvetica as an all-purpose sans-serif font, but alas. Arial is basically the Helvetica equivalent for Windows. In fact, Microsoft loves Arial so much that even if you have Helvetica installed, a website will still render Arial. Sigh.

Can you confirm this with a link or two? I’d like to note this in my article.

I’m repeating what a lot of font and typography mavens say about Arial. To my eye, it looks okay until you get too small. (The Vista font Calibri works very nicely in a smaller view. It would be a good replacement for Arial and other narrow s-s fonts, but it has a relative size issue with Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, etc.)

web-graphics . com/mtarchive/001008.php

It’s an old article and it seems to be an XP issue, so it might’ve been resolved by now.

I just tested it on Vista and Helvetica rendered just fine.

I am just curious what font was used here, if anyone (possibly the designer) can tell me I would really appreciate it!

I am working on a logo for the company that I work for, and this font is very close to what I am looking for.

logopond.com/gallery/detail/44886
logopond.com/gallery/detail/44996

Or if anyone would like to give me suggestions for simple, clean line fonts such as this.

Thanks!

Abhijit Raj

I usually always use Arial or Verdana for paragraphs, since they’re very readable and pretty much every computer is going to have them. For headings, I usually use Georgia or serif font to make it stand out a little.

What font do you use for logo ?

You mean the Sitepoint logo? Looks like a Helvetica variant, but my eye is not trained. You might go here or [URL=“http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504170”]here for illumination.

I mean logo designs in general. I know every logo is different but what font comes to mind when you asked to design kind of generic font. Nothing fancy but solid very good logo. For example, how about tuhoma or arial black as logo fonts? Mind you topography is my weakest link…:slight_smile:

I don’t know how to answer that question, since every logo is indeed different, and if you’re creating a graphic logo, you can literally use any font you like. There are tens of thousands to choose from. Basically, you want to find a font that reflects and enhances the feel and flow of your site, and reinforces the mood or tone (or whatever the word) your site attempts to create. The best thing for you to do along these lines is to begin comparing logos from a variety of sites and try to decide how their logo fonts complement (or do not complement) their sites.

I like Verdana for the body but whenever I’m writing tedious long articles, I use Tahoma. I’m not very knowledgeable in typography and still quite amazed by how typography gurus do their thing. Calibri looks good too.

Times for me. Easy to transform!