What host do you recommend?

Hello Guys,
I have been searching for a while for a good host, but there are soo many these days it is hard to choose. I was wondering if people could give me information on the host they use and what makes them different to other hosts!

[FONT=Verdana]If you’d like to tell us exactly what type of hosting you’re looking for, with what specifications, then we may be able to suggest possibilities for you. What we can’t do is offer host reviews, which seems to be what you’re asking for here.

See the area guidelines:

Host reviews are not allowed in any of our forums.
Since the Review a Host forum closed, Host reviews are no longer allowed anywhere in the forums. For more information, see the announcement about this.
[/FONT]

Meanwhile you are in Sydney, are you looking for a host in Australia or somewhere else? As mentioned above, more details of your hosting requirements please.

Hostgator is definetely the best. I’ve had great past experiences :slight_smile:

I recommend HawkHost, the support was great unlike my other host that did not answer my tickets, and what makes them different? I needed a cheap reliable hosting for several small sites, so unlimited hosted domains, and they have exactly that!

I can help you with that ,first tell me which type of web sites you want to make, and how much traffic you are expecting, if low traffic then you can take shared hosting. My recommendation is 4GoodHosting as a web host that offered excellent value. Uptime is great and you cant experience downtime.

As the former Team Leader (who generated the Host Review board), I have to say that the overwhelmingly BAD hosts were GoDaddy and HostGator. Depending upon your requirements for hosting, members are “all over the place” with their recommendations.

Personally, I’ve a good hosts turned poor (Site5 - prior to Ben) and a good host (WebHostingZoom) I left because I found an even better host (WebHostingBuzz - .com or .co.uk). With WHB’s multitude of accounts from basic hosting through VPS to dedi AND Specialized Hosting (Drupal, WP, Joomla, etc) supported by an outstanding support organization, I’ll stick with them as my overwhelming favorite for their products, service and reliability/extremely high up-time at a very reasonable price.

[indent]I offer my standard advice when selecting a new host:

1. Establish your requirements, i.e., Linux, Apache 2.4+, PHP 5.2+, MySQL 5+, the preferred control panel (e.g., cPanel) and storage and bandwidth requirements. Remember to allocate for log files, databases, e-mail (attachments) and growth.

2. If you’re looking for a VPS or dedicated server, remember to ask what the host’s managed services provide. Remember, a non-managed host must be monitored by you 24/7/365¼!

3. Know what control panels you are willing to use, i.e., WHM/cPanel. cPanel is the standard bearer for Linux systems and Plesk for Windows systems. Customized control panels may or may not be satisfactory.

4. Know how much CPU time/RAM you need. If you need a lot of processing power (like WordPress and other CMS’s), this will be a major factor. These, however, are usually specified only for VPS/dedicated accounts and automatically throttled for shared/reseller accounts. Note: WebHostingBuzz does have “Specialized Hosting” accounts for these memory hogs like WP, Joomla, Drupal, etc.

5. Know your target (the Internet is fast but some latency could hurt so the closer your server to your target audience the better) location and try to host as close to your target as possible.

6. SEARCH (using the above parameters) recording each feasible host as well how well it satisfies your requirements and budget. Spreadsheets are good for this as you can assign weighting to the different requirements and how well they were met to generate numerical scores.

7. Create a shortlist based on the database you’ve created in step 5 then SEARCH for comments about the host (avoiding obvious shills and websites which advertise for that host).

8. (from EastCoast) “Eliminate anonymous companies - if a hosting company doesn’t have a full office address and company registration details visible on their site, it’s often down to the amateur status of the operator, which is unlikely to be consistent with longevity and reliability.”

9. (from EastCoast) “Eliminate new companies - hosting has a very high fail rate because of the low barriers to entry. If a company makes it through it’s first 5 years then it’s likely it’s jumped a few hurdles and knows what it’s doing sufficiently to have made a viable business. Not all new companies are cowboys, but the percentage is high enough that it’s not worth the risk of being the one to find out the hard way, when there are plenty other options.”

10. Eliminate companies which do not tell you exactly what you’re getting for your money, i.e., the Control Panel, the storage, the bandwidth (traffic), the versions of the main daemons (Apache, PHP and MySQL), the SSL and dedicated IP charges, etc. That’s where knowing your requirements comes in strongly! Hosts like WebHostingBuzz upgrade their daemons when new versions come out but ensure that they are not “bleeding edge” updates. Ask your shortlist about their upgrade process.

11. The last step (other than selection) is to contact each shortlisted host with a question (I’ve used .htaccess and mod_rewrite availability, which services are managed by the host, the availability of IP addresses - you will require one for each SSL you use - or ask to test proprietary control panels - they may make life too difficult for you) and record the response time and your level of satisfaction with the response.

12. Finally, you’ll have enough information to make an intelligent selection: “Just Do It!”

I have been there, done that (all too frequently in the past).[/indent]

Regards,

DK

I think the Simple Helix is best,I run it for my Magento website

Linode is also great. They’ve increased their bandwidth recently and their service is very good.

Im using HawkHost and im very pleased with the customer service, also i needed to host for cheap several small presentation sites, and i like the fact that they offer unlimited websites hosted.

I like Hostgator for having better hosting services. I am using its hosting services from long time and really having a great experience. So I would be recommended this hosting service provider for all website user.

hostgator,bluehost both r good

I have tried hostagater, bluehost and here is the summary of my experiences, when you really get some high traffic and load on server they are down. I guess they are suitable for small to med business or otherwise get dedicated server if you have secure and high end business needs.

How about Rack Space for a UK web hosts?

What do you want to know? And how does it relate to the OP’s question?

I’m a big fan of wiredtree. Been using them for five years now. As much support as my $1200 a month dedicated server on three other hosts.

Hello, There is a lot of service that provides web hosting, but I recommend HostGator, JustHost, page, BlueHost. They provide best costumer support, service and plans.

Hostgator +1

The original poster has probably found a host by now THREAD CLOSED