What immediate action should be taken against those who copied content?

Hi friends,
Hope u are going good.
This is something you all might be fed up of.
In today’s time of social networking and open interest arena copying anything is just as easy as you breath.
But do you know how painful it is?
Not all but only a few who have toiled their nights to get an idea.
You have written that and published. Now what happens is the worse.
You find you content copied and whoa! he isn’t going to accept that.

Now my sitepoint is what immediately we should do…so that the copycats can’t prove themselves as the owner of the written content.

Copycats don’t survive very long copying content on the web, mainly because Google see this. Google have very rich programs in place to prevent you copying the likes of entire wikipedia article and then passing it off as your own.

[FONT=verdana]

I’m afraid that’s not true. Google does nothing to prevent copying. It could not do so even if it wanted to. The best that Google does is to respond to requests to remove illegal copies from its search results, but that involves a certain amount of effort on the part of the victim, and in any case doesn’t solve the problem at source.

This article outlines some steps you can take to get illegal copies removed. But it does take time and patience. You’ve got to decide for yourself whether it’s worth the effort.

Mike[/FONT]

I was always under the understanding that Google didn’t index duplicate content, eye opener for me hah! :smiley:

Recent updates from Google are helping and action is taken against Spammers, contents which are being copied. The sites are banned or ranking of sites are affecting which are using black-hat SEO techniques.

Mywebmaster,

Unfortunately you have to choose between chasing people down and just ignoring it. If it were me, I would find ways of making your content unique such as signing up for Google Authorship. This is just one step you can take to make sure the content you write is credited to you first and not someone else.

Hope that helps,

Shawn

[FONT=verdana]

Shawn, you’re right that Authorship will help ensure he gets proper credit for his content. But unfortunately it will do nothing to prevent the content being copied in the first place. It won’t get the illegal copies removed from the search engines. And it won’t prevent people finding the copies in preference to the originals - in other words, it won’t prevent the plagiarists benefiting from their actions at the expense of the original author.

Pesonally, I would go after the villains and do my best to get the copies taken down completely.

Mike

[/FONT]

Very true Mikel, it won’t stop things from being taken down however one of the reasons of Authorship is so that Google has a method of serving content from people who consistently produce good stuff. I suppose I have no solid proof of this but I would like to think that Google would serve content attached to an authroship profile before the copied content in search, especially if that is all a webmaster is doing as opposed to creating something original.

Also, going after people for stealing your content should be a business decision. Is it really worth going after someone if it means losing revenue because you have no time to do your primary job? I agree that it would be good to have copied content taken down but only if it makes good business sense.

[FONT=verdana]

If that’s right, it would be a very good argument for using Authorship. But I’ve seen no evidence for it. At best, I would guess that Google uses Authorship as just another of its many “signals”. In other words, it’s a factor, but it’s not an overriding one. But I don’t know that for sure.

Absolutely right. That why I said it was what I would do. It wasn’t meant to be blanket advice.

Mike

[/FONT]

Have you tried to sue them? As you had the unique content and If I am not getting you wrong some one has copied it. In this case, you must sue such persons to teach them or give them a message.

Sue-ing doesn’t really work. The cyber space is cra-zy. SImply write them to take the article off their sites or simply they should give you the credit and a link to resource point.

Google can take against Spammer but as a human being i want to say that unethical practice can not survive long.

Well, taking into account how google has taken action against spammers, you don’t need to worry about it because always will appear some one that will do that. If the content is protected by the law, then check this: https://www.google.com/sites/help/intl/en/program_policy.html

Hello guys , for me :
i do copy and paste other articles in my website but in the article , i post the copyright site << where i got that content plus a Note : telling people that my website is not the author of these articles,we do simply collect and publish them with respect to the original others , all the credits go the original source:)

[FONT=verdana]

Then you are infringing the original author’s copyright. Adding an acknowledgement does not change that. As for your claim that you “respect the original authors” and that “all the credits go the original source” - well, that’s just not true. If you really did respect them, you wouldn’t be ripping off their work in this way.

Mike
[/FONT]

Something else that you can do is send a DMCA letter to the webhost of that site. According to law, webhosts should take strict activities against sites that duplicates copyrighted work from different sites.

Place a Copyscape Banner on your website/blog to give a cautioning inform to individuals who want to take your content.

i respect your point of view, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

I had someone who was ripping off all my content a month ago. They would take a complete copy of my site, replace my site name with there’s, chuck advertisements on it and then basically look like a legit site which was actively maintained. Once I caught onto what they were doing I put an if statement into all my pages on my site, so the next time it updated it would just redirect to this video which I thought was kinda funny.

Now they’ve moved onto other websites so I just tell the owners of those websites to do what I do so he moves onto the next one.

Threatening legal action is always my first course of action against copied content. Usually this is enough to make them take it down immediately.
Of course, you’ll have to follow through on your previous attack but that is solely up to how much capital you have.

Without a lot of technical and legal effort, you can’t completely prevent this. What you can do though is include links to your other articles within the content. That way if somebody copies it and posts it they’ll more often than not forget to change that and at least his visitors will see your stuff.