What is best open source knowledge management software?

We are looking to setup a knowledge base that stores troubleshooting information, answers to frequently asked questions, how-to articles and user manuals. A search engine is required used to locate information in the knowledge base, or users may browse through the categories. It should come with source code so that we can extend its functionality as and when required. Do you have suggestions? I’ve shortlisted the following products and need help to decide the best among them. We have about 15 staff members that will need a client license to add/manage content in the knowledge base system. We also need to separate the content for internal employees from public users (customers and website visitors).

1. Interspire Knowledge Manager (Discontinued Product)
  2. PHPKB (Pretty Nice User Interface and Features - Impressive List of Customers)
  3. KBpublisher (Very basic looks, seems outdated)
  4. HelpJuice (Comes only as a hosted service)
  5. WebsiteScripts Knowledge Manager Pro (Very costly, cluttered web 2 style interface, has almost same set of features as first 3)

Have you used any of them for yourself or for a customer?

Actually I am an order and inventory management system provider and here the given software are good. I used PHPKB for a long time ago but not now.

Welcome to the forums

There isn’t a “best” one, each KB system will have it’s own merits, it’s really down to you to find which on meets your specific needs - what one suits another person may not suit you!

So I’d suggest that you make a list of features you specifically need, then go through each system to find the best match.

I’ve not used any of the ones you mention, if my clients need a KB then I usually craft one using ExpressionEngine.