What is CMS

what is content management systems? how do we use it with Html.
I know html,css, js,php,mysql. is CMS related to these languages? I do noy have an idea about CMS?

CMS is not a language, it’s a ready made system that help you run your website
there is no need to know any programing to run it. joomla is probably the most poular CMS
just go to their website and download and you will be ready to run your website

CMS = content management system. I honestly have ZERO idea how you came about the skills you mentioned without understanding what a CMS is.

Basically, a CMS allows you to set up a template that controls the look of your page while the content of the page comes from a database. I would highly recommend checking out WordPress to get an understanding for what a CMS is. Wordpress is simple to install, configure, and understand. Once you grasp WordPress you can move on to the other so-called “robust” content management systems like Drupal.

Thanks a lot for your reply Kenmore. I have created websites, but till now I have not had the opportunity to know CMS and I do not how to use it.

I will upload Joomla and If I have any doubts, Can you help me in that?

Hello Mattgoffrey,

Thanks for your reply. There is no need for you to get surprised, because I have created many websites, but not had an
opportunity to learn CMS. Now I wanted to learn what is CMS.

If you build a site from scratch, you have to set up everything yourself, and if you need complex functionality (such as the client editing content themselves) you will have a lot of coding to do. A CMS is a whole bunch of code that has been written for you already, so you upload it to the server and build your site around it. So there is already an admin section for the client, where they can log in and edit content etc. without you having to build it all from scratch.

Thanks a lot for your reply Ralph. I have clearly understood the meaning of CMS by your definition.

I do really appreciate it.

I’ll be happy to help you but your best option is to use their forum, many users will be able to help you with the latest version.

wikipedia define CMS as:

A content management system (CMS) is a system providing a collection of procedures used to manage work flow in a collaborative environment. These procedures can be manual or computer-based. The procedures are designed to do the following:
Allow for a large number of people to contribute to and share stored data
Control access to data, based on user roles (defining which information users or user groups can view, edit, publish, etc.)
Aid in easy storage and retrieval of data
Reduce repetitive duplicate input
Improve the ease of report writing
Improve communication between users

In a CMS, data can be defined as nearly anything: documents, movies, pictures, phone numbers, scientific data, and so forth. CMSs are frequently used for storing, controlling, revising, semantically enriching, and publishing documentation. Serving as a central repository, the CMS increases the version level of new updates to an already existing file. Version control is one of the primary advantages of a CMS

I think the definition of CMS has evolved over the last 4 or 5 years. A CMS used to be a “Content Management System” but now the more poplar ones have become frameworks for application development that happen to also include all the tools for creating, editing and deleting content. There are many very popular CMS systems. WordPress is probably the most popular (by number of installations) followed by Joomla and Drupal which are more complicated to learn and use. There are lots of others as well. Some are open source and free to use while others are licensed.

I would suggest that you look at what’s available, download and try them out. In order to really learn the CMS you choose, you’ll probably need to get a book and dedicate some time to learning.

Hi roselotus,
That’s a very good start. Even if you decide to learn others, WP is a great place to get an idea of what you can do.

Have fun!

Thanks for your reply awasson. I have downloaded wordpress and started learning about it.

As other member said, CMS is Content Management System. You can say that, CMS is a very easy way to build a website. There are a lot of CMS out there. If you never used CMS before, try with the Blogger. It it the most easiest CMS, and then continue with Wordpress. Joomla has a lot of feature so therefore, not suitable for first timer.

CMS is content management system.
Free and most popular ones are:
Wordpress
Joomla
Drupal

Since you are familiar with php, mysql my advice for you would be not to rely too much on built-in features but to
pay attention on code also, because if you create pages without looking into code at all, your websites won’t be flexible and it will be very hard to update them in the future with new features and content…
Track all new features but see that you improve your programming knowledge as well…