What is common between jpg and png?

I have read at Sitepoint about the difference between jpg and png.

It was very informative. I just want to know the common characteristics of jpg and png. Anything common between them and their image resolution files?

They common thing is that they’re image files, I suppose. :confused:

They are completely different formats. One is a lossy format (JPG), the other is lossless (PNG). As such, their compression algorithms are completely different. Also, PNG has a transparency layer, while JPG does not.

Anything common between them and their image resolution files?

I have no idea what you’re asking here. Image files can be any resolution you want.

Hello Friend, Jpg or JPEG is in lossy compression formats are generally suited for photographs. This formate is not so good for text and drawing while png is in lossless compression formats,these are suited for illustrations, drawings, text and other material that would not look good when compressed with lossy compression. So this is simple difference I have explained. Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation. This is possibly the reason why png is used more on banners I think.

Hey Prasanth, there are different kinds of image formats such as jpg, png, bmp and gif. The most common thing is a little bit of image data are saved in pixels in all formats. PNG and JPEG both files do not support animation. PNG files are also lossless files retaining color information when they are compressed.