What is different between Graphic design and Web design.?

Hello Guys,
I am not familiar to graphic design, so i want to know that What is different between Graphic design and Web design.? please guys share your reviews about it. and help me to know about it. Thanks

I find the term “web design” to be contestable.

I have a friend from college who is a “web designer” , for a large development firm but the doesnt even know CSS or even HTML… not even tables!! What he does is he build graphical elements in ADOBE photo shop/illustrator/ indesign for wed pages. So since he does “graphic design for the web” he doesn’t consider it a misnomer to for his title to be “web designer”

Other folks may not be very good at using photoshop, or MORE IMPORTANTLY , have no aesthetic sensibilities whatsoever but are MASTERS at HTML and CSS. They can solve cross browser issues and write CLEAN , SEMANTICALLY MEANINGFUL markup. Despite remedial “artistic talent” these individual also claim the title “web designer”

Some employers REQUIRE that you know GRAPHIC DESIGN for the web, HTML, CSS, and JAVASCRIPT before they consider you for any “web designer” position … but consider the GD part a plus and not a requirement ( in contrast to my friends position, for example). At this point however some companies consider this “front end development”

The last job interview I was in for the title “web designer” required AT LEAST: GRAPHIC DESIGN for the web, HTML, CSS, and JAVASCRIPT, AJAX , JSON, PHP, .NET, and SQL/MySQL … plus familiarity with a few CMS and shopping cart plug ins ( even tho technically this could be a termed as “WEB DEVELOPING” )

PERSONALLY, I break it down this way:
GRAPHIC DESIGN: pretty pictures, no code
WEB GRAPHIC DESIGN: pretty pictures, fit to wrap around code
WEB DESIGNER : Code(HTML) , layout (CSS), semantics, cross browser checking, web graphic design skills a +
FRONT END DEV. : functionality ( javascript, AJAX , JSON, flash , etc) ,Code(HTML) , layout (CSS), semantics, cross browser checking, web graphic design skills a +
WEB DEV: PHP, .NET, .ASP, FRONT END SKILSL a + , SQL/MySQL a + , knowledge of servers +
BACK END admin/DEV: SQL/MySQL ( and other types of DBs ), PHP, .NET, .ASP, knowledge of servers … front end dev skills kinda irrelevant, but why not mention it if you have them.

That’s wonderful you want to know the difference between Graphic design and Web design. Let me provide you the information for the same.

Graphic designing is that who is connected with your customers and enhance the brand image of your company.

Website Designing is the art and process of combining individual elements of design (lines, shape, texture, color) into a pleasing arrangment, Web Design is the art and process of creating a single Web page or entire Web sites.

IMHO…

Web designers should know HTML & CSS. And perhaps JavaScript or jQuery. They design things that are published on the internet.

Graphic designers should know Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign (or similar applications). They design things that are printed in the real world.

Both of them should have a sense of color, text and layout. Although there is a lot of overlap between the two, someone could be a web designer with only code knowledge.

What?! They didn’t want you to also write the content, art direct the photo shoots, fix the printer and make sandwiches for everyone? You’re lucky. :slight_smile:

There are some exceptional programmers who have a fantastic eye for amazing graphic design, but I have not met any, including myself :slight_smile:

It is also true that some exceptional graphic designers cannot do great website design (the website graphics) as it does take an understanding of functionality and UI (user interface) within the right context (mobile application design, ecommerce, MVC, CMS etc.). As a general rule of thumb the graphic web designer and the programmer should be separate teams, imho.

While graphic design involve everything from print books, ads, magazines etc , when you do graphic design for website, then it’s web design :). The difference is the resolution where in web, you need fast loading graphics, low resolution without sacrificing the quality.