What is the best industry to work for as a programmer

I was wondering what people thought was the best type of industry to work for as a computer programmer. What do you think? Manufacturing, education, software shop, non-profit? So any ideas? Please also include why you think that industry is best for programmers.

thanks.

Government, because they are the least likely to outsource your position overseas.

Yeah that is true. However, I’ve seen too many people get “stuck” w/ ancient IT skills and can’t even get a job outside their department. For me, I want to get a new job every 3~5 years…otherwise, it’s impossible to get “justifiable” raise. Most IT companies only give 2~5% raise… I change job then it’s around 20% raise.

I look at it differently. Instead of best industry, I look for the next technology to learn to keep myself valuable in the market. For me, I don’t care what industry I’m in as long as I’m equipped w/ the right skills.

If you can find an industry you’re passionate about about then that would be the best industry for you. I myself work in higher-ed and love it! The pay is lower than others, but there are many factors that make up for it.

Industry should be Education and also software shop for programing because education will promote you and help you and software give you learning poits,tasks,platform etc.

This is exactly why people look at me weird when I talk about the turnover in software jobs being from 2-5 years when they often pay pretty well.

I simply cannot understand why software developers aren’t paid better if they dedicate part of their career to a company. The second a graduate has spent the necessary “two years experience” for other jobs they’ve handed in their notice and are looking towards much larger salaries. I’ve seen people jump from £18K to £28K after two years experience, with their original company offering only £21K for their dedication.

To answer the question, the best industry to work in is one where software is the primary business, because treating you well and keeping your skill set competitive is within their best interests. It’s why the best jobs are always at software shops and large companies like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc.