What is this type of site called?

I call them “scrolling story” sites, but I’m sure there’s a more technical name – I’m talking about sites like academixdirect.com or salesforce.com where things load as you scroll. I know it’s done with HTML5 but wondered if they had a specific term for them.

Thanks!

Hey Sparkie!

I’ve just always seen them called scrolling websites.

Off Topic:

It’s great to see you back!

It’s not really clear what aspect of those sites you are referring to. But either way, this is all done with JavaScript. It’s nothing to do with HTML5. HTML is just a simple markup language. Styling and functionality are done with CSS and JS respectively.

where things load as you scroll

I don’t see that behavior on those sites, but there is a JS trick that only loads the content on the page as you scroll to it. I’ve head it called various things, like progressive or auto loading. Here’s an example:

http://www.webresourcesdepot.com/load-content-while-scrolling-with-jquery/

Thanks! I didn’t know it was Jquery, so I’ve bookmarked that site for future reference. You guys rock :slight_smile:

@DaveMaxwell - Good to see you around! We have to sit around in rocking chairs one day and reminisce about IE6 and the good old days lol :slight_smile:

I don’t like those sites because after you click on something and then hit the back button, sometimes you have to rescroll all the way down to get back to where you left off. This is very annoying when you’ve scrolled past hundreds of entries.

Hey Chill,

I can understand that! It’s good for first-time visitors, to get an idea about the site and what it can do for them. Otherwise, if you’re a returning visitor, it’s a pain to scroll.

i agree with Ralph, it’s can be done with Jquery plugin and CSS, they call it also Parallax Scrolling :slight_smile: Funny name lol there is also a cool jquery plugin called Infinite Scrolling check the Page : Link so easy to setup and cool also :slight_smile: