What kind of hosting service do I need for a big website?

Website will contain a large database
users will be able to register, add comments and add info in that database

I am just a designer I don’t have much experience in hosting, all I used before was shared hosting for my own website

Thanks in advance
Bernadette

Hello, bernadette!

If you have really large database and want to have your site working fast, it is better to look for the dedicated server.

How big is this database?
And how much traffic will the site get, do you expect?

That last question is key. If you have a shared hosting package for 25 GB space, then the database’s size doesn’t matter too much (unless it’s huge, of course).

But it would be a waste of money to purchase dedicated hosting if you’re receiving 100 visits a day.

So from your answers I assume I’d rather use a shared hosting at the start until the traffic passes 100 or 200 user?
then when it exceeds that. a dedicated hosting would be better for faster performance

You qould move from shared to VPS and then to dedicated. A Virtual Private Server falls about half way between both in terms of resources and cost.

okay will read more about VPS
thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

Check out jaguarpc.com vps special , 2 months free right now, thats who i use with my blog.

yes, you can start small then upgrade as needed arises. Watch out for these three resources, disk space usage, bandwidth usage and cpu usage.

great info
thanks

If your site contain large database and large traffic then first i will recommend a vps. After getting more popular then go to dedicated server. at the beginning you don’t need dedicated server.

The nice thing about starting with a VPS is you can always install the same VPS software on a dedicated server and migrate the entire container. It makes growth much easier.

It seems to me VPS solution will be good for you.
And you may start from low cost VPS deals which are available from the respectable companies such as hostgator, b2vps, etc.
Just my point of view.

better to look for the dedicated server.

For that big of a site, I’d start off with VPS. A mid-range VPS will work just fine - As you grow, you’ll want to keep upgrading the specifications to fit your needs until you get up to a high end VPS.

starts with shared hosting plan from any of the reliable service providers.
You can move to VPS or Dedicated when its required.

Go with a Managed VPS :slight_smile:

Just request the support team to optimize MySQL and Apache and you should be fine.

If you have a large website and it’s going to take more space you should try VPS, dedicated server and off course should fast because people don’t like slow sites.

There is lots of hosting sites that can provide you these thing. you only need to do is find according to your budget

happy hosting

VPS hosting is a great bridge between shared hosting and dedicated hosting. It s main advantage is the ability to get complete control over the hosting environment with dedicated hosting package but with less cost. I don’t think you’ll need to move to dedicated hosting by reading your requirements.