What monitor type do you use for digital design

what type of monitors do you use for digital design

list model and type

also the reason why you prefer the type.

reason for me asking is because my crt monitor has recently died, and have been using a lcd TN panel as its replacement which was used as a secondary screen before.

I Know about IPS panel technology , but wasnt sure if its better then a glossy crt monitor.

I was using BenQ and Hanns-G 19" monitors before I switched to an LG 37" HDTV over a year ago. Reason? More real estate on a single screen, it’s physically bigger, and I have very fine control over color balance and temperature.

I was using LG crt 17" monitors before I switched to an Samsung 21" HDTV over 2 year ago. I saw the price of the samsung is the reasonable and the quality of the samsung is in line with costs. I like this

I use a 23" Apple Cinema Display (IPS technology), although I use the older matte model because I can’t stand glossy screens.

Ugh…I can’t stand glossy screens either. Why did that even become a trend? The reflections those produce kinda defeat the purpose of a larger monitor.

There, fixed that for you (:

I wasn’t too keen on the glassy iMac screen at first, but I have to admit it’s fine in practice. You just have to be a little careful where you place it in relation to the light source.

But you don’t have to worry about that with a matte finish…and I couldn’t tell you what advantage there is by going either way if judged solely by image quality.

Yes, and I wouldn’t want to rearrange my room for a monitor. The advantage of a glossy screen, as far as I can tell, is that it’s overall a little more crisp and sharp. For design and development, I don’t see the benefit. I’m also sensitive to light, so matte screens are perfect for me.

I guess I won’t be buying any monitors from Apple in the future, unless they offer models with matte screens, which I doubt. I’ll get myself one by Eizo or Nec.

Indeed. I used to hate the glassy screens, but gave in when getting my last Mac, as there wasn’t a choice. But to be honest, I don’t mind it at all. I do find the screen a lot crisper. The matte monitors used to look really grainy to me, which was a bit of a turnoff to getting a large-screen version, though the small screens were fine.

The gloss became popular because in certain light environments glossy displays provide better colour intensity and contrast ratios than matte displays. However, there is the big drawback of reflection glare.

Has anyone seen a comparison done between two monitors with the same hardware (or same manufacturer and specs), except one with a matte finish and one with glossy finish?

Typically, I’ve just seen comparisons done with an old matte monitor 2-7 years old against a brand new glossy monitor. In those cases, yes, there’s a world of difference. I’m not entirely convinced there would be a huge difference when comparable matte and glossy monitors are compared.

I use a macbook pro laptop (2 years old) and it has the default screen that came with it from the manufacturer. Honestly, I don’t know much about monitors. I just got an Apple because it was recommended to me by the graphic design department at my college. Supposedly macs display colors better by default. I’m curious what type of adjustments or specifications to look for in a PC that would be best for design and display. There are certain aspects I like better about PCs than macs, but I use a mac because it’s pretty much industry standard for graphic design.

Unless you get platform-specific software, you can pretty much go with whichever platform you like best. Although, if you want to go with a PC in the $1000 range, you’ll be better off building it yourself (better warranty coverage, and more bang-per-buck).

In fact, I do most of my media, video, and graphics work on a PC (though I can generally work interchangeably if the right tools are available–but Windows has traditionally had more free applications available)

Going to one platform or another because of “display colors” is a very poor reason to choose one platform over another. Yes, the monitors on most macs are very good, but apple isn’t the only game in town for monitors. Not to mention that both platforms can handle different color profiles.

I also use a matte 23" Apple Cinema Display along with my MacBook Pro 15" matte high definition laptop monitor. Both of them are excellent. I’ve used two displays for so many years now that it would feel very odd to move back. As we speak, I’m watching a TV show on the smaller monitor while I’m browsing the forums on the ACD. I guess a larger display would do just fine though, like the 37" mentioned earlier.

I know Windows has more free applications available. I need to check and see if Adobe sells the software packages I’m used to using. I know there are various types of Adobe software available for the PC, but do they sell them together as a package for a PC? I wonder if there is anything missing on the PC versions that the macs have and the PCs don’t? If PCs can run the same software, display graphics just as well, run just as well, and are more customizable, then I don’t see why macs are preferred in the industry. I’ve heard there used to be more difference between them than there is now. If the software I like using is available for PC, then next time I buy a computer, it might be a PC.

Is it really still cheaper to build your own PC? I’ve heard it used to be, but now it costs just as much if not more than buying one already assembled. It does sound interesting to learn how to build a new computer, though.

As far as I’m aware, all of adobe’s software has gone back to being cross-platform compatible. For a little while, some applications (Premiere comes to mind) had dropped mac support. An no, the software isn’t missing any features between platforms.

If PCs can run the same software, display graphics just as well, run just as well, and are more customizable, then I don’t see why macs are preferred in the industry. I’ve heard there used to be more difference between them than there is now. If the software I like using is available for PC, then next time I buy a computer, it might be a PC.

Tradition, mainly. And for the fact that there is no customization available–it keeps things simple. There are a few tools that are exclusive to macs, such as Final Cut, iPhoto, and iMovie. Final Cut is similar to Adobe Premiere, and up until this year, they were reasonably well matched (Apple really crippled this year’s release of final cut, though). When looking at out-of-the-box features, I’ve found premiere to generally be superior, though some of the plugins available for final cut are very good. As for iPhoto…I have yet to find a windows application that can do a nice job with photo slideshows. As for iMovie…there really aren’t any solid competitors for free or low cost video editing software–Most end up being unstable, hard to use, or missing essential features.

Is it really still cheaper to build your own PC? I’ve heard it used to be, but now it costs just as much if not more than buying one already assembled. It does sound interesting to learn how to build a new computer, though.

It only ends up being cheaper if you’re building a high-end PC. If you start hitting the $1000 mark with a pre-built PC, it’s time to look at a custom build.

For example, $3000 for an Alienware PC is ridiculous. The parts for one of those PCs can actually be purchased for around $1500.

I’m using samsung 19" HDTV cause it’s give great result and it’s not too expensive…

IPS panels every time for professional work. A lot of the time you probably won’t notice the difference if you only do web design, but now and again if you do a lot of design disciplines there’ll be e.g a large run print job, photo retouching or perhaps a broadcast video gig that really need the best colour accuracy.

Monitors don’t need the same regularity of updating that other computer stuff does (a good monitor might out last 3 entirely new systems), so best to spend a bit more on one.

Personally, i use LG LCD and its working absolutely fine.