What should be the strategy for being search engine visible for some good keywords

Hello Gurus ,

I was wondering what all should be the steps taken ( and more importantly what should be avoided) after you complete writing all the pages of a site. Because, when I built my violin site I think I did some mistakes.

1. The site have a very good number of affiliate links which I think is not liked by dmoz and yahoo directories.
    Even though I did submit, the site do not figure out in both of them.

Also inspite of having an age of over 5 years, my site does not come in the first page for some good keywords like violin music( comes in 4th page), violin buying ( comes in second page) and violin playing( comes in 4th ).

I initially had a page rank of 2 after I submitted the site to google and still has the page rank of 2.

I presume if you concentrate on back links and once you attain a page rank, then introduce all your affiliate links would be OK? Please correct me if wrong. How about seeking the help of many page rank building websites out there ?

:confused:
Any help appreciated

Thanks

The first thing to remember is that only one site can be at #1, and only ten sites can be on the first page.

If your site isn’t doing as well as you want it to, it might be that it just isn’t as good as other sites out there. Have a look at the sites that are appearing above yours, and think about it honestly – is your site better than theirs? If not, the chances are that any efforts you put into SEO will be wasted. The top tip for improving your position in the search results is to improve the quality of your content and the clarity of your site’s internal navigation.

I would be wary about having too many affiliate links if your aim with links is to improve your Google ranking – I don’t know for sure, but I have a feeling that a lot of affiliate programmes don’t pass PageRank/googlejuice, so while you might be getting some traffic from them, you won’t necessarily be helping your position in the search rankings.

My web page http://violinwizard.com/violin_buying.html was turning up on google search page 2 for the keyword “buy violin” and “buying violin” till last week. Today I notice that it never comes even in the 15th page.

Similarly for the keyword “violin music”, my home page used to come in the 4th page of google search. Today i notice that it is also not coming in 10 pages.

Why is that google neglected those pages. If because of competition, the page should have moved down 1 or 2 pages.

Has anybody got similar experiance? Would appreciate all your inputs.

Thanks
:confused:

according to your words, i guess you may meet the google dance problem with your site.you can check whether you have some bad backlinks with your sites.and you should also check if there is copy content from other sites which google also hate it since the last update. if so, please remove them asap.and if there is no problem with your backlinks and site content. you maybe wait some times to see the result. I think you wlll retrieve the high SERP soon.The more quality backlinks will help you get a better SERP.plus the affiliate programs will only improve your alexa rank,means the traffic. not the SERP.

Don’t tell the top SEO’s that only ‘good’ sites rank otherwise they’ll have to admit that they’re snake oil salesmen and that all the crappy sites that they’ve obtained good ranking for are actually figments of their imaginations… I like the message you keep trying to send with the ‘better content’ thing but it’s not realistic in terms of SEO which is why I asked you in another thread to tell us what your practical experience with SEO is, I’m still waiting for a reply.

Raj, Google doesn’t like affiliate sites because they don’t consider it good quality service to have their own users have to go through a middle man to get to what they actually want so they will strike down upon your site with great vengence if they identify it as a worthless afiliate site. If your site has other reason to rank well then it will. If you want to manipulate the rankings then try to acquire links from good quality authority sites.

Thanks for all replies.

I checked with Google webmaster tools. The surprising thing I notice is that there are 304 links to my site from different sites. The maximum links that I have found anywhere ( like alexa etc ) was 19 links and most of them from my links page where I exchange for reciprocal links. Why is that ?

Apart from that I don’t find any errors. Still not sure why it went down for so many keywords just like that in last week.

Thanks

GWT isn’t accurate. This is from my personal experience.

The site has retrieved its keyword positions for several keywords, but not all in 5+ months. But the PR remained the same before ( was 2) and now.

If you want good rankings you should mix links around. What i mean by this is mixing nofollow links with some dofollow links is a great way of telling google you are not hungry for the 1st position place. It’s only normal at first you wont see results, soem sites it takes years to get known and ranked very well. Going back to nofollow links most people find them useless but in fact it helps a lot of sites rank well, believe it or not. If i were you id find better link or different links such as wiki links, .edu links and guest posting sites which are great for traffic, in the long run you want traffic more then anything else.