What should the file path be for my files before I upload them to a server?

This may sound like a stupid question but I need to know.
All of my files are saved to desktop and the url is…example…file:///C:/Users/Craig/Desktop/index.html
Do I upload these files like this, I’ll be using FTP, or do I have to change them to something else?
I feel as though something isn’t right and need to make changes now, if I have to at all.
I won’t have any hosting information till next week, including a domain name.
This is my first time around with websites and I want to make sure everything is good to go when I’m ready.
Thanks.

There’s no difference where is the place on your computer from which you upload your files to server.

Thank you!

stork,

Please allow me to add an ad for Kevin Yank’s book (http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql5/ - at least the free chapter on installation and configuration of a test server - the PHP & MySQL sections are extremely helpful, too)a s that’s where I started with a test server on my computer and began my education with PHP and MySQL (years ago with the first edition).

I don’t believe that Kevin goes into creating VirtualHosts on the test server, though, but that’s where I develop many websites locally and can easily upload from my directories to the server AFTER testing thoroughly.

Welcome to the wonderful world of websites and good luck in your endeavors!

Regards,

DK

Thanks for the link!!!

DAM,

That’s the WHERE to upload to, not the FROM as the Op was asking - at least that was my interpretation of his post (but I could be wrong).

Regards,

DK

Thanks everyone

I launched yesterday, thanks for all of your help with everything, here’s a link to the site if you’re interested.
http://www.psychiclotto.org/

The simplest way to work things is to set up a public_html folder on your computer that has the same file structure within it as you have on the server. That way all the relative links in the one place will also work in the other.

AH! Very good idea, I like it and will do. Thanks.