What that little menu at the top called?

On the Sitepoint site…

What that little top menu with Notifications, My Profile, Settings called?

I would call the menu with Home, Forum, What’s New the main nav/menu, and the one with Private Messages, FAQ/Rules, etc. a submenu.

Thanks.

I don’t know if there’s a technical term for it or not, but if you look at the source code, it says <div id=“toplinks” class=“toplinks”>. “Toplinks” looks to me like a pretty good name for it. :slight_smile:

Thanks. I was looking for a more generic term and think I found it at http://www.antharia.com/resources/details.php?id=86; they call it a utility menu.

That makes sense. :slight_smile:

If you’re trying to think of a good naming convention, I usually use in order - Global Menu > Primary Menu > Secondary Menu > Tertiary Menu. But it depends on the site architecture etc.

Navigation or tools menu

I would say dropdown menu as all the catagories in the options drop down and that’s the term microsoft use for their menu which has the same feature. It does what it says on the tin!

I wouldn’t say that that’s quite the best name for it, as it’s not very semantic. It describes how it looks/what it does physically rather than what it’s used for like “utility menu”. I would vote against naming it “toplinks” as well because that describes how it looks/where it is and not what it’s used for.

~TehYoyo

utility menu does seem to be best name for it, as I agree it describes what it does rather than its physical state… All agreed on utility menu?
Also Navigation menu would be suitable for the menu above as that is what helps us navigate our way through the site.