What the heck is this #.Tozlxid5 at the end of all my urls?

Hello,

So all my site urls have this hash identifier at the end of them AKA mysite.com#.Tozlxid5. It’s not always there. I don’t know what it is? Is it a hacker? A third party script? Anybody seen this? Here is my site http://tinyurl.com/6gnvjq3 I guess I’ll ask my host too.

In Safari, at least, there’s a button to bring up the Ghostery report for the page in an overlay. Clicking “Edit Blocking Options” lists the blocked items, each having a checkbox to choose whether to block it.

O dear, doesn’t look good. I get different extensions. E.g.

#.To0ddk9PLBQ

Looks very dodgy. Good luck!

I couldn’t see it but perhaps that is because I don’t have scripting enabled?

Not showing here either (IE8). Are they there in the source code, or just when you’re viewing the page?

If I click on any of the links down the left, there is a bunch of weird code appended to the end of the URL in the address bar of the landing page.

A quick toggling session with Ghostery suggests that it’s caused by your AddThis bookmarking.

Just noticed the menu requires both Flash and javascript. You do like to live dangerously!

That’s interesting! (What’s a toggling session?)

I’d agree with that. I can only produce the odd URLs by allowing AddThis both in Ghostery and NoScript.

Ghostery allows selective blocking of the various services tied into the site that may be tracking your activity e.g. Google Analytics, Facebook, Quantcast etc. I toggled the services on and off until the offending hash appeared.

I’ll have to check out Ghostery. Thanks guys! Fiddling with it this morning I came to the same conclusion. Should’ve checked here first. It was the “address bar track back feature” that addthis just rolled out. In my settings/code I can add or remove that feature. I removed it and now the ugly hash stuff is gone. Thanks for helping to light my way :slight_smile:

No its just needs flash. There is no accompanying js with it. Its got html backup too. :slight_smile:

OK, thanks. I just can’t work out how to do that toggling (after installing it in Chrome).

Quite some years ago I decided AddThis should be called RemoveThis … which is what I did. :slight_smile:

I usually use it on FF, but I’ve just tried it on Chromium and it works as Victorinox describes. The button is a wee blue ghost on the right-hand side of the tool bar.

Ah, OK, thanks. It seems to be different in Chrome. Can’t find that toggling option.

EDIT:

Yep, I see that, but is doesn’t seem to have on/off options.

On my home page, I just get “not scanned”, but visit another page (eg this one) and you should see a wee number next to the ghost, indicating the number of trackers. Click that button and you get the dialogue.

Yep, but when I do that, it’s just a list of title and links to websites. No toggle options.

OK. Below that list, there should be a line saying “edit blocking options”. If you click there, the list changes to give you check boxes next to each of the items, so you can toggle them. (I have to say, this seems to be easier to use than the FF version, but FF lets you block cookies too.)

Hm, I don’t get that on the Mac. The closest thing is an Options tab, which leads to an online page that has a lot of options. One of those is Enable bug blocking, which might do the trick, I guess, but it’s not very clear or intuitive. O well, this is not really the topic of the thread!

That sounds more like the FF version of ghostery. You can set the options to block all trackers, and then you need to scroll through the entire list to toggle an individual one. (No big deal for me, because I very seldom want to.) I can’t find any way to take screen-shots with the dropdown menus in place to show the differences in the two versions, which are quite dissimilar. Odd that Chrome and Chromium don’t behave the same way.