What's the best SWF decompiler?

I’ve heard of www.sothink.com as well as others.

What’s the best one? Do any of them allow you to decompile password protected SWFs?

Normally I look grimly over instances where ppl want to just Crack other peoples SWF’s and post " I lost My FLA " :mad: stuff. But , if it’s only for learning purpose , try out SWF SCANNER … but please do not try to pass of other people’s SWF / work as your own. :o

Originally posted by featuredhost
Normally I look grimly over instances where ppl want to just Crack other peoples SWF’s and post " I lost My FLA " :mad: stuff. But , if it’s only for learning purpose , try out SWF SCANNER … but please do not try to pass of other people’s SWF / work as your own. :o
It is only for learning. Most good flash sites or whatever would be recognized anyways.

Thanks

After looking at SWF Scanner… it doesn’t even appear to convert files to FLA (only JPG, etc)

the idea is not to get FLA’s froom other peoples SWF’s :mad: SWF Scanner or any other SWF decompiler only works to get the Action Script and JPEGS so that you get the idea how the file was originaly made . So that you can do it on your own . :slight_smile:

Some People Just Don’t Get It Do They?
People Pour Their ***‘s Into Their Work And
Some Slim Ball Comes By And Snatches It Up As If They Own The ****…
I Personaly Wouldn’t Of Given Him Other Options Of Decompilers…
Just Goes To Show He Hasn’t Even Done His Homework On That End…
O’ Well…Thats My 2Cents Anyways

~Peace-Out~ & "Welcome To Hell…

I’ve reported the thread, it should be removed.

Oh please spare me aaron.martone.

This type of software is well know and freely available. removing this thread wont make a jot of difference.

Come on guys, calm down a little please.

The software is freely available, and I have had cause to legitimately use it in the past (yes, I did actually lose my .fla :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Please do not attack each other personally, no matter what you think of the ethics of another.

Simply decompiling a .swf will never give someone with no flash knowledge the tools to do any real damage/pirating anyway.

edit:

Phil, passwords are there for a reason though. I’m sure you have legitimate reason to do this, but bear in mind that if you don’t the design community is small and tightly knit and any piracy does tend to get reported to the original author, and is of course illegal…

that’s true, however, that’s like saying crack is available everywhere so you removing it from here wont make any difference.

The point is don’t contribute to these people. Sure he can find that crap elsewhere, but as for me, I won’t contribute to it.

Not quite, as I said, I have had legitimate reason to use this type of software, the same can’t be said of a crack.

The point is don’t contribute to these people. Sure he can find that crap elsewhere, but as for me, I won’t contribute to it.

Cool, and that’s why I’m leaving the thread in place. A tool has already been highlighted which will unravel the wonders of how something has been constructed without actually comprimising the integrity of the original authors work, I’m guessing self-regulation among the designers here is going to keep it in that vein, and perhaps teach any casual readers of the thread why it’s a bad thing, and that it is simply not acceptable to pirate others work…

H, you don’t get it. ‘Unravel the wonders’ as you put it is taking intellectual property without consent. IT’S ILLEGAL. This isn’t open source. You are taking without permission. Learning how something is done is 95% the battle in the software industry.

No no, I do get it. As an open-source advocate I have an issue with it. The software is not illegal. In fact even the deconstruction isn’t in many countries. The copying/passing off is.

If you allow this thread up, there’s no reason why I can’t post requesting warez and just give some half-**** excuse of why I need it. The tool in question here decompiles project files, and much like EXEs, EULAs forbid users from decompiling any EXE that they did not solely create.

I think leaving the thread up is disrespectful to both Macromedia, and the SitePoint community.

Chas… lol…
“spare” you, eh?..LOL. Freely available software? So are warez and crackz; doesn’t mean its legal. But of course, we should spare you that news flash…

I’m guessing self-regulation among the designers here is going to keep it in that vein

I know you didn’t mean to say only designers hang out in here. “Flash, its not just for kids anymore” :wink:

On the point of the decompilers, should we compile html documents in some obscure way to protect the work of the html author? Decompilers are not cracks or warez, if they were I am sure it would be illegal to use them and to sell them online. As fillup said, if you were to try and pass off others’ work as your own, it would be noticed anyway.

most people would if they had the choice. You may say, I wouldn’t, but that’s only because you’ve lived without that choice for so long now.

I get the feeling most of you do not work for software development companies. Intellectual property is one of, if not the most important things there is in the software industry. My company has spent 20 years developing POS software. NO WAY do we want some punk taking our code without permission AND that’s exactly what this software does, I don’t care if the government hasn’t had time to crack down on this software yet. STEALING IS STEALING it doesn’t matter how you dress it up.

Hey, I understand proprietary code is just that, I have worked for several software development companies, and I now work for myself. Which means I have an even bigger stake in my code.

However the fact of the matter is, putting stuff on the web that you don’t want people to see, especially client side code, there is just no way to protect it thoroughly. The good thing about flash, if you code your movie correctly the major business objects should be residing on your server in the form of PHP classes or ColdFusion components or Servlets or whatever you choose to be your backend system. Flash should really be nothing more than stuff you would find in javascript or html, a front end to your backend logic.

This is just my opinion but, the real magic happens in the backend layers, and not in the flash movie itself. So as far as my work goes, let them hack my swf all day long, they will never get my business logic, which again should be the driving force behind an application.

Although I must admit, if I was Golgotha I sure wouldn’t want someone to rip my stuff, your site is very well built, but I just use flash at a much more slimmed down fashion. I used it to buidl interfaces to PHP classes, so most of the special stuff I care about happens in my PHP scripts and not in the flash movie.

But I guess the real issue here is whether or not we should be able to post links to decompilers in this forum. Unfortunately most of the companies making these tools don’t operate in the US, an neither does this forum, so with that in mind, of course we as citizens(at least me) of the US can’t dictate what others choose to and choose not to do.

I agree freddy, the man behind the curtain is usually server-side, but this does still not give someone the go ahead to hack away at anothers hard work.

ok, I said my piece, I’m going to leave it alone and let this thread die.

No it can’t die, my antagnostic tendencies won’t let it!!!:rolleyes:

No it doesn’t but the same should be said for html(the guy who thinks his new transparent gif spacing solution is the bomb ;)) or javascript so the guy who has created some lame realtime clock is protected.

I agree its not an invitation, but censoring this forum is not gonna stop it either.

It’s a bit shifty, but it isn’t exactly “warez”. There’s nothing illigal about actually using the software (as far as I understand it)… there are decompilers for basically everything (java, visual basic, C, etc) so even though there are <insert expletive of your choice> stealing whole flash movies, it won’t do them much good.