What's the future of Java? Will browsers ever stop auto blocking it?

I have a virtual tour on my site. It is programmed in Java. Therefore all the browsers today block it (I assume) and virtually nill actually see the tour. I can get it working on my computer. So I’m considering just making a YouTube video of the tour and showcasing it instead. Does anybody have any idea if Java/Oricale are/is ever going to recover and fill its security holes and therefore stop being automatically blocked in all browsers?

Java Applets are dead, if they can’t be considered that already. They are an outdated technology. They are absolutely riddled with security holes, like you mentioned, and I would personally never trust them from any place on the open Internet. There is still quite a bit of Enterprise stuff that still uses them for internal applications, but I seriously doubt Oracle puts much effort into them specifically today.

Java on the server is very much alive and kicking and will be for a long time to come.

For my work, I am in charge of creating a virtual tour. I’m sure you are aware of YouVisit which is what most universities use. It’s 13k a year though…Are you looking to redo your virtual tour? The software I found, the only requirement is that you have to make big panoramic images. Creataing it from there is as easy as drag-and-drop and setting up the links between hte locations. GUI - no coding needed. Well, very minimal code to customize.

Thanks guys. It’s a shame. It’s such a nice virtual tour. At first I was just going to provide an alternate link to a video version alongside the Java version. But I guess it’s dead. So I just made a video of the tour and am using that instead to showcase. Once I make my place look 100% again (grass needs tons of work lol) I will just hire a Google guy to come out and do a virtual tour - to go alongside Google maps. It’s only a few hundred bucks and I beleive I can embed it as well. Anybody have experience with that? If so is that the case?

1 Like

If you have access to making panoramic images, why not just do it for free? The software I’m using - KRpano - is free and literally drag and drop the images.

I’ll check it out!

I’ve been using it a bit so if you have any questions, just ask.

I have used their forums a bit though and they are pretty knowledgeable. On KRpanos website, you can find the link to their forums.