What's the good word?

The good word is Never give up. Very inspiring! :slight_smile:

inspirational, yes, but neither fun nor unusual, sorry

In Dutch it is “par a dig ma”. The a is pronounced the same as in Americ’a

A word I’ve been overusing lately for some real reason: awesome - to inspire awe.

I also happen to be a fan of antidisestablishmentarianism, the often quoted “longest word in the English language” (though there are longer) which means - a political position that originated in 19th-century Britain in opposition to proposals for the disestablishment of the Church of England, that is, to remove the Anglican Church’s status as the state church of England, Ireland, and Wales.

=p

Well that is a very supercalifrailisticexpealidocious word samanime! :smiley:

“Zenith” also known as vertex, and literally “top of the path”.Origin in texts of astronomy in medieval Islam. English dates from the late 14th century.
Its quite a good word which can be used…(:

My favorite is “eleemosynary” – referring to charity or philanthropy.

There were times I wondered if my college education was just teaching me longer words. :wink:

sphygmomanometer

The blood pressure thingy

Back from the days when a column of mercury wasn’t thought of as a bad thing.

I recently came across the word paraprosdokian, which nicely describes my preferred kind of humor. It’s—

OK, it’s not the most beautiful word, but Wikipedia provides some nice examples:

“If I am reading this graph correctly—I’d be very surprised.” Stephen Colbert

“You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing—after they have tried everything else.” Winston Churchill

“If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised.” Dorothy Parker

“I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it.” Groucho Marx

“A modest man, who has much to be modest about.” Winston Churchill

“She looks as though she’s been poured into her clothes, and forgot to say ‘when’.” P. G. Wodehouse

“If I could say a few words, I’d be a better public speaker.” Homer Simpson

“I haven’t slept for ten days, because that would be too long.” Mitch Hedberg

“I sleep eight hours a day and at least ten at night.” Bill Hicks

Here’s another one that appears lots on the web:

“I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.”

If that wasn’t such a hard to remember word I’d probably remember it. =p

Those were quite funny.

Yeah, if I didn’t keep forgetting things, I’d have a really good memory.

That almost sounds like a “Yogi-ism” Today was Yogi Berra’s birthday and it was “like Deju vu all over again!”

“indispensable” - not subject to being set aside or neglected

Agreed. I find that word indispensable.

byzantine - typically used in it’s uncapitalized form to describe something overly complex/ornate often with a hint of deception hidden behind all the tricky BS.

Capitalized it refers to some empire or something, known for it’s (overly) ornate stylings (in almost everything; architecture, politics, art, blah blah blah).

Perhaps one of the single most pretentious and redundant words in the English language; in my opinion, it deserves overusage based on those facts alone.

Fun bit on “semihemidemisemiquaver:” Someone wrote out the bass line for John Entwistle’s somewhat-improvised playing on “The Real Me,” based on the recording that had already been released.

YouTube - The Who - The Real Me

Full of hemis and semihemis and whatnot. Entwistle glanced at it and said, “Man, I can’t play that!”

Kudos, Ralph, I love the quotes in that list. Add to it this Winston Churchillism:

Lady Astor: Sir, if you were my husband, I’d put poison in your tea.
Winston: Madame, if you were my wife, I’d drink it.

Well, it might not be a perfect fit, but fun anyway.

Hey…my funny word id “aba”… its meaning is "garment of camel or goat hair; camel or goat-hair fabric "… have fun…

Alright here is my word!!! I came across this last week
floccinaucinihilipilification- it means estimation that something is valueless.

Couldn’t they have come up with something simpler??

Honorificabilitudinitatibus

I’m not sure if this counts but it appeared when I searched for the longest English word one day. Apparently this is shakespeare’s fault.

Reading all the above posts made me make a diary of the these fantabulous words.

Mine is BOONDOGGLE which refers to a project that arguably wastes time and money.