When creating responsive website, is it designer/developer job to determine breakpoin

Hi there,

I am learning more about responsive web and there are a few questions which bug me.

First, is it simply a matter of using breaking points with CSS3 to determine new layout for different screen sizes?

Second, when I get a design from web designer, is it my job to create breaking points from the design or should the designer create them in advance and determine layout for each breaking point?

Basically, although you don’t need a whole new layout at each breakpoint. Scale your browser down and see where the various elements need to be restyled.

when I get a design from web designer, is it my job to create breaking points from the design or should the designer create them in advance and determine layout for each breaking point?

That’s for you to discuss with the designer. But a designer who isn’t aware of these issues is not really competent to design for the web these days. Either make them aware of the issues and educate them a bit, or get a better designer.

Thank you Ralph. I agree, I have only recently started working with more professional designers and learnt that even though they know what it is and how it affects user experience, it is still hard to predict everything in advance. Some problems occur only after you start developing the website. Thus communication is key and building a responsive is an on-going process. Not simply coding PSD to HTML. At least that’s the experience I had so far.

Like all things in the industry - it is a conversation. You might consider designing for mobile first. This will help you establish content priorities. The mobile experience should definitely be unique.

This means more time and more design variations, but the result are worth it. Many people see responsive grids and design as a way to get an automatic mobile site - this has not been my experience. Sure it will format into one column for a phone, but that is not ‘responsive design.’