When I make a Sharepoint website where are the files stored?

Hello.

I’m going a little batty here.

A client company of mine uses Windows servers, with Sharepoint as their method to access and update their website and intranet.

I’m working on a whole website redesign, and therefore thought it best to build the site on my own Windows 7 PC using Sharepoint 2010, so I’ll be sure that everything is working properly, before eventually handing all the files over to their IT department for publishing.

To that end, I’ve spent a little time installing Sharepoint Foundation 2010 and Sharepoint Designer 2010, following this tutorial. All of that went well.

Here’s my problem. I’m used to making my html files via a text editor, so first off I’m feeling quite lost inside of Sharepoint’s interface. And, compounding my confusion, I’m having a surprisingly hard time finding the test files I’ve made via Sharepoint on my computer. Where are these files stored?

My first though was that they should be in the inetpub/wwwroot folder, but that’s actually empty.

Am I missing something obvious?

Lastly, is there an easy way to import webpages made from say, Dreamweaver or Aptana Studio, into Microsoft’s Sharepoint system? I’d like to have something like Dreamweaver’s .dwt template functionality out of Sharepoint. Is that possible, or is Sharepoint a different workflow entirely?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sharepoint is kind of like OWA Exchange, the website does not hold a thing, the Database holds everything even users passwords.
The config file under the sharepoint site under IIS is what hold the configuration of the site, there are allot of thing to consider before designing for sharepoint, so for the most part use sharepoint designer and not dreamwaver and all of those.
Now know, that to use sharepoint designer you will need to install sharepoint in your computer, dont ask me why.
After you are done with your site design you will be able to exported and imported into your site under the sharepoint configuration site, make sure you make this site public or else no one will be able to check see your graphics and only your layout.

So all of the “files” are really just in a database.

Wow, that’s a little annoying really. So I won’t be able to pop something open in Notepad to check; I’ll be forced to do EVERYTHING through Sharepoint regarding this site?

Thanks for the advice, I’ll look into Sharepoint Designer this morning.

So is there a way to export my “files” from Sharepoint into actual files in a directory somewhere?

I think you will find this http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/Blogs/GetThePoint/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=386 interesting.

Think about it this way, is like wordpress, but much more difficult, everything is a content holder, like a widget.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.