When is google responding to my changes in web content?

Hi,

I’ve just been doing some keyword targeting and hence changed keywords in the text. I was surprised today to find the site had slipped a page. If I click on the link in google it shows the updated page but if I click on the cached page it shows the page before the changes.

So my question is when does Google actually recognise the change (and therefore I amy see adifference in listings)? does it have to actually crawl it first? (and I would see a change in the cache?

The fall I have seen may have been for another reason

thanks,

It’s a gradual process. Google updates its index on a different cycle from its cache, so sometimes they get out of sync. Either one can be more up-to-date. But the index is what it is using to power the search results, the cache is just a nifty bonus feature.

Do some social bookmarking in the site which are often crawl by Google. So that you can increase the chances for Google to index and update the cache content quickly.

So if when I click the the link in the search results it brings up the updated page Google is taking account of any changes to the site? I guess this is important to me when i am constantly updating the text (keyword wise) to find what has an effect and what doesn’t. I need to know when it is registering with Google.

Is this making sense?

:blush:

If it is only showing in the cache but not in the index (ie in the snippet) then I don’t think Google will be using it in returning its results.

When i click on the actual link it shows the changed page.

The bit that comes up when i click the magnifying glass and shows a picture of the page - (is this what you call the snippet?) does not show the updated page.

The cache does not show the updated page

Sorry to be perdantic about all this. I need to get ths straight in order to go forward with keyword targeting at the correct rate.

What do you think it looks to me that it all depends on the snippet as you call it?

regards,

Well, yes, of course it does. Because at that point, you’re looking at your site, not anything to do with Google.

The bit that comes up when i click the magnifying glass and shows a picture of the page - (is this what you call the snippet?) does not show the updated page.

The cache does not show the updated page

Sorry to be perdantic about all this. I need to get ths straight in order to go forward with keyword targeting at the correct rate.

What do you think it looks to me that it all depends on the snippet as you call it?

The snippet is the brief bit of text from your site (usually the <meta description> if you have one, or an extract from the page contents) that Google shows below the link/title and the URL.

If the snippet, cache and snapshot (what you see with the magnifying glass) are all showing your old page then Google hasn’t updated its index with your revised page.

Thanks for sticking with this Stevie.

I get it. I’ve learnt something.

thank you.:slight_smile:

Sometime Google takes a lot of time the need is that you should make notice to Google ping the pages bookmark them and make Google to crawl on to your page