When it's noon in London

We all know SitePoint has a global Community. I’m just wondering, do we really span the world?

When it’s noon in London …

Here in Massachusett’s USA it’s either 7AM or 8AM depending on whether or not Daylight Savings Time is in effect.

It’s 1:00 pm here in the Phils, same in Australia:)

… it’s 1 PM in Brussels… but I still randomly pick up my phone yelling “good morning” or “good evening”.

Daylight Savings Time was not federally codified and regulated until 1966.
During WWII, FDR inplemented DST all the time, for the whole nation, for the duration of the war. When the war was over, the Executive Order ended, but that left every governmental entity to determine for themselves whether, and when, to use DST. It was so bad, some municipalities had DST when the next town over did not.
This period (1945-1966) has been a headache to Astrologers, who are unable with certainty to determine the “true local time” of a client’s birth, which will through off the Ascendant and each of the twelve houses of a Natal Horoscope.

It would be 20:00 in the evening here in China. There are 8 time difference from China.

Heh heh, what’s GMT got to do with SitePoint? :wink: HQ is in Melbourne, SO…

When it’s 12 midday in Melbourne, it’s…

3 am in London
10 pm in Massachusetts
4 am in Cape Town
10 am in Hong Kong…

Here in Sydney it is usually the same time as it is in Melbourne (between 9 and 11 hours ahead of London depending on daylight saving in both places).

When it’s noon in London, it’s 00:00 here in NZ. Yip, on the other side of the world.

When it’s noon in Melbourne, it’s 14:00 here in NZ.

When it’s noon in London, it’s 13:00 (or 1 pm for those of you who can’t count past twelve) here.

As far as I know DST applies the same in Mass. as in Europe, which means it should never be an issue at noon. Only at 02:00-03:00 local time, which means 07:00-08:00 in London or 21:00-22:00 in Massachusett, on the two days per year when we switch over. :slight_smile:

Off Topic:

“Usually”? Always, as far as I know. Mind you, it gets darker in Sydney slightly earlier, due to Sydney being further east. I was quite surprised by this the first time I noticed it.

I live in England so when it’s noon in London… it’s noon where I am, nice and simple :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad you said that - it saves me working it out!

It’s not ideal because I start work at 5am which means I generally have to wait 5 or 6 hours before everyone else gets into the office!

This has been an eye opener. I used to think I knew more about geography than I apparently do (hey, I used to get most of the geography questions right in Trivial Pursuit!). I never would have guessed that NZ is 2 hours from Melbourne which is 2 hours from Hong Kong. They all look pretty much in line on the map in my mind’s eye.

And now I’m questioning other’s sleep patterns. I know mine is a mess from working second shift for 20 years. So even though I’m in EST, sleep-time-wise I’m shifted over to somewhere off the pacific west coast. I usually get about 6 hours sleep a “night” (aka. morning), I’m online and here a lot, and it seems a lot of other SitePoint members are too. I guess we’re all somewhat sleep deprived :wink:

I meam OMG, if I’m correct it’s 3AM SPT (SitePoint Time) and HAWK is already at work starting her day!

Ditto - though I can’t guarantee if I’ll be awake or asleep :wink:

I’m in France, So when it’s 6am here it’s 5am in England.

I live near London so it GMT here,it can get confusing as i have business partners in the US and Australia when we link up by skype we have to try and get a time that we all are awake.

I was wondering how SitePoint’s new JavaScript Live would go because of TZ differences. It’s at 3AM for me. Amazingly enough, there’s a lot of people around the world that will make the time during whatever part of the day or night it happens to be just to learn javascript!

And though I started this thread to see if forum membership really spanned the globe, I’ve sure gotten my answer now.