When to use which app in Adobe Suite

Hi,

I am studying online in web design, but I’m a little frustrated as yes I’m learning html,css,dhtml, javascript etc.
But what I would really love to know is, in the real world which apps of the adobe suite do web designers really use. I know Dreamweaver and what it does, but for example I used Fireworks to create a wireframe of a home page, but not sure where I should go from there. Which app should you use and for creating what?

I would use photoshop for visual and dreamweaver for everything else.
Fireworks is good but it cant be used without photoshop really and having 3 programs opened instead of 2 doesnt make me happy. In the end photoshop can do everything you need even if fireworks can do smth faster.
And then there is illustrator if you happen to know how to create awesome vector illustration / icons.

But thats my personal opinion.

Hi SnickDiv. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

:eek: “DHTML” a pretty old word now. Best to stick to JavaScript.

in the real world which apps of the adobe suite do web designers really use.

Honestly, it really doesn’t matter. There’s no right answer. Use whatever you feel most comfortable with. It’s the end result that counts, and you can get that with many products, be they from Adobe or not. You don’t need a single Adobe product to be a top level web designer. there are plenty of alternatives, and many of them free.

Thanks for the welcome to the forums, it’s my first time on any forum lol. Unfortunately I still have to learn about DHTML as part of my course. But good to know, it’s all about javascript now.

Thanks

Hi Lieto,
Thanks I will try Photoshop.

Well, DHTML is just Javascript using the browser’s objects. Something that you will do if you learning JavaScript because that’s where it is most widely used, in the browser. Still, it is a bit worrying that they use the old name… because if it is true that most of the time it is the same thing with just a fancier, newer name, keeping that old name in your study program makes me wonder if the program is updated with the current trends and tendecies. And, of course, with real best practices.

Regarding your question, there is no right or wrong answer and it highly depends on the way you work. Some people would use Photoshop or similar to design a detailed mockup of what they will build. Other use DreamWeaver to do the coding. Some uses Flash to do bits of animations and small videos. It simply depends on your workflow and which tools you prefer.

Some people don’t even use Adobe products because, as good as they are, they are extremely expensive. And there are good alternatives out there.

Thanks, after I wrote my reply to ralph.m I thought but I’m using JavaScript to create DHTML pages. I think my course covers the old, so you have an understanding of where it all started. They do cover current trends. Through the DHTML lesson you get a taste of javascript. There is a lesson just on javascript for me to do , just haven’t got there yet. Can I sound any greener to all this. But got to say love, love web design. Can’t wait to get to a good understanding of everything and start creating my own.