When was the last time you used the web?

Well, and as web developers, when we do use the web, we’re also over-sensitive to certain things. When I’m on a site via my mobile and it’s sort of responsive but they didn’t-quite-get-it-right I’ll rant to my fiance and she’ll laugh and be amused at the rhetoric, but is that a normal user response? Probably not. They’re probably more worried about why X isn’t on the page at all, or why they can’t find a menu.

Sidebar example:
My fiance lives in the same home as me, a web developer, and she was trying to navigate a site on her phone (we don’t have Internet at home temporarily due to the recent move so we’ve been using only mobiles) and she couldn’t find the page she needed on the website - because she didn’t know that the Hamburger Menu was a menu, reminding me of ( UX Challenge: Re-thinking the Hamburger Icon ). She’s an extremely intelligent person who knows things about upper level mathematics that leave me extremely confused - but some things on the Internet are simply not intuitive enough for users to follow without being shown at least once. That’s a UX problem that I don’t know how to solve.

Anyway. This is why we have UX as a sort of separate field, isn’t it? So that developers either learn about, and consider UX when developing, or work with UX Designers who do. The question as always is whether our system for one or both of those is working or not, probably.

1 Like