Where have all our smilies gone?

I’ve noticed a number of folk bewailing the loss of our old, familiar smilies. Well, the good news is, I disliked the new ones so much I’ve made a point of bringing the old ones with me. Hopefully, we’ll eventually find a way to replace the default Discourse set with our own, but in the meantime, you have two options.

You can download the zip file, save your smilies, then drag & drop them into posts.
SitePoint-Smilies.zip (163.6 KB)

Or you can copy & paste them from here. (Right-click, choose “copy image” then paste with Ctrl + v works for me.)

SitePoint Smilies

Standard Smilies

Valentine’s Smilies

Updated the URLs

11 Likes

Not animated, sadly

The animated ones are.

2 Likes

You can’t copy/paste from that page - it changes the file type on you. But if you save locally, then use drag/drop it works fine.

had to figure it out myself when I wanted to use my favorite

2 Likes

It works if you do it the way I suggested in that topic.

1 Like

Testing that theory in Chrome on Windows (it converted to PNG) :frowning:

3 Likes

Weird - it works great on Firefox and Ubuntu.

1 Like

Firefox for Windows (it works)

1 Like

Chromium on Ubuntu:

It doesn’t work - it coverts to png. (But drag and drop from a saved copy works. )

1 Like

ah, There we go!

2 Likes

hmm, Does it re-upload new copies of the images each time?

Because then we might be better off doing ‘copy image location’ and typing in the img tag.

Not if you use copy image and Ctrl+v paste in Firefox. (For some reason, right-click paste is disabled - and Ctrl+c won’t copy an image. )

Created a topic at discourse for this issue (we need our dancing nana ! )

https://meta.discourse.org/t/copy-paste-of-gif-file-changes-file-format-chrome-only/21236

3 Likes

Not for me… with Chrome. It works with FF though

Firefox Windows works for mr.

In fact post # 1 is almost too visually overwhelming with all the action going on !

On a related note, I’ve tried getting my localhost set-up in a way that it doesn’t go at a snails pace. installed under “my documemts”, then “C:/” and now under “C:/VirtualBox/” - with no joy. Works but is painfully slow.

On the more positive side, I have had time to get my Ruby a wee bit more up to speed, understand Ember to a moderate newbie level, know my way around Core better and have quite a few plugins to study as examples. I’m hoping to get a barebones POC soon.

Wow. That’s a lot of smilies.